Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2020 00:00

Dell XPS 13 9300, How to disable bitlocker recovery key prompt in BIOS for use with eGPU?

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble finding out how to disable the bitlocker command prompt at startups/restarts in the BIOS. I have the latest BIOS: 1.1.0 installed. Using Razer Core X, sometimes I boot the computer with/without thunderbolt 3 cable, and it would bring up bitlocker recovery key prompt. It gets bothersome at times having to keep entering the long recovery key. Please let me know if there is a way through the BIOS.

Much appreciated! 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 1st, 2020 06:00

@ITZJOZHWA  That’s happening because the TPM protector in BitLocker involves a “platform integrity check” that causes the TPM to refuse to release the key if certain hardware or firmware changes have occurred that cause the system to no longer be in its trusted state. That’s why you need to enter the Recovery Key. And if you do that, the TPM trusts the new state instead of the old one. But then when the eGPU is in the opposite state, the same integrity check fails.

You should be able to fix this by turning off the Thunderbolt BOOT options in the BIOS so that the eGPU enclosure (or its absence) is not taken into account at boot time. You might see the Recovery Key prompt one more time, but after that it shouldn’t matter whether the eGPU is connected or not since Thunderbolt devices won’t be enumerated at boot time. If you need to keep the boot options enabled in the BIOS for your eGPU to work properly (are you sure about that?), then you’d either have to customize the PCR values that are checked by BitLocker’s TPM platform integrity check, which will be a pain, or else use a conventional password instead of using the TPM protector at all, but that’s less secure because even if you choose a good password, you won’t get a platform integrity check at all anymore — which means if there was ever a malicious modification to your system meant to compromise your password, BitLocker wouldn’t notice it the way it can when the TPM is involved.

• 

25.1K Posts

August 5th, 2020 19:00

Greetings,

We will archive this case as we have not heard from you. Feel free to reach out to us if you need further assistance. 

-Deepak

No Events found!