Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

July 27th, 2020 06:00

Dell XPS 13 9300 - quality control issues? 3 faulty laptops in a row

A few weeks ago, I ordered a new XPS 13 9300 (i7, 16GB). The first one arrived with a malfunctioning screen. The second one had sounds issues (speakers replaced, motherboard replaced, no fix). The third one gets so hot, it shuts itself down. 

Anyone else having issues with Dell quality control? Or is this the moment I should buy a lottery ticket?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

July 27th, 2020 07:00

Impossible to predict, but new models of anything generally come with yet to be worked out bugs from the design and/or production process.  Just look at recently released automobiles, even from automakers with respected track records for reliability (Toyota, etc.) and you'll see the problem incidence relatively high.

Couple that with all the supply chain disruption from COVID-19 and it's not inconceivable the defect rate is higher than it should be.

There are options:  buy from a local vendor that will allow you to physically examine the unit you're planning to purchase (of course this will cost more), or hold until the issues are worked out as the model matures in the production process.  You may well find that models from competing manufacturers aren't much better at present (not a surprise, since they all come from essentially the same production lines, regardless of the name on the outside).

39 Posts

July 27th, 2020 09:00

Hello,

I got my 9300 as well. I'm hearing a noise from left side of the screen wihle openning/closing; but I'm afraid of the process..

2 Posts

July 27th, 2020 13:00

Right there with you. Got 2 defective units in a row in India. Now waiting for the third and last one before I quit!

July 27th, 2020 20:00

I am on my second XPS 13 7390 and the screen keeps flickering. Turns out there are posts on this same issue back from 2012 and Dell has not fixed it yet!

23 Posts

November 1st, 2020 12:00

I went through 3 faulty XPS 15 9500s and ended up just returning the last one. Dell definitely has a problem with quality control which is poor for such an expensive line

No Events found!