Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2018 12:00

Dell XPS 13 9365 runs warm when connected to TB16 dock

Hi

I have a Dell XPS 9365 (2in1) connected to a TB16 thunderbolt dock that itself is connected to a Dell P2416D LCD via DVI and a small ViewSonic VP171b LCD via HMDI to VGA adapter. Laptop itself has lid closed. In this configuration the core temp reported by CoreTemp v 1.11 hovers around 60C.  This is with all apps closed, except a single Firefox browser window and CoreTemp app.  Opening laptop lid does help, but only by decreasing temp 1-2 degrees C.

I then disconnect from TB16, and CoreTemp now reports CPU core temps around 40C.

So, my questions are:

1. Is this increase in temperature expected for being attached to TB16 with the displays mentioned?

2. If this is not expected, what can I do to help find source of problem?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Vince

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2018 12:00

I've read that the Thunderbolt controller does consume quite a bit of power and therefore would generate quite a bit of heat.  A 20C delta is more than I would have expected, but the 9365 is also designed to be particularly slim and light, and cooling systems that fit into designs that thin and light can only do so much.  If you have Dell Power Manager installed (I believe that's the right tool for this purpose) you may be able to adjust fan profile settings if you'd be willing to accept a bit more fan noise for lower temps, although I'm not sure if those options are available on that specific system.  Anyhow, I don't believe this is indicative of a problem.

10 Posts

May 14th, 2018 07:00

Thanks everyone.  I was able to solve this largely via:

1. Disabling unnecessary services.

2. Updating all drivers and firmware.

3. When connected to TB16 disabling Wifi, see https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Trouble-with-XPS-15-9550-USB-C-Thunderbolt-3-and-external/m-p/4735767/highlight/true#M880833.

Regarding point 3, in addition to making the laptop warm, I was also experiencing slow down and sporadic resetting of the Windows GUI. Since disabling Wifi when on dock the laptop is cool and speedy.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 26th, 2018 14:00

Mine gets warm, especially with a monitor attached.  The system also charges through that same port, so that may be part of it. 

You might run it in different configurations to see if it makes any difference.

As a note, mine also gets fairly warm when doing maintenance tasks which require processor or drive resources. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the case got to around 115 degrees F.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 14th, 2018 15:00

My system automatically switches to the Ethernet on the dock so the Wi-Fi is not really doing anything.  But maybe it was enough to lower the temp. some. 

My system gets to 112 ° F fairly often when not connected to the Dock.  If it starts doing something which increases the processor or drive usage, it can get very warm.  I never understood why the Dock made it hot except it does have a high power charger and the video on that USB C connection.  Usually it gets warm on the bottom, along the back from the center to the left.

Mine has been going for 18 months and has been fine.  I don't really work it very hard but Microsoft seems to like doing that for me.

No Events found!