Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

October 9th, 2018 19:00

Dell XPS 13 9370 Bluescreen

I have a new Dell XPS13 9370, tag which is crashing with a blue-screen often.  It crashes with BAD_POOL_HEADER, SECURITY_CHECK_FAILUER, or most common IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.  It seems to crash most often under "high" CPU load.  I was able to reproduce it by running the IETU CPU Stress test for just a minute or 2, it would crash every time.  The CPU would instantly jump to 100c and the fans would pick up, but it would crash a minute in at most, but at random times.  Throughout the day, just doing light web browsing and such, it would crash 6+ times a day.

To attempt to fix the issue I checked that all drivers were installed at the latest versions (Oct 9th, 2018) and that the BIOS was the latest version (including some fan fixes, but it was already current).  I then installed the Dell Power Manager:

* Dell-Power-Manager-Service_DY59W_WIN64_3.0.0_A00.EXE - Dell website

* Dell Power Manager - Windows 10 store

This did seem to change the behavior, now I could run the full CPU test for 10+ minutes with no crash!  The fans seemed to kick on higher and while the CPU jumps to 100c, it only stays there for maybe 5 seconds, the fans have kicked into high gear and it stays around 80c for the duration of the load test.  Of course, its thermal and power limit throttling the whole time, but at least it does not crash.  However, it still crashes randomly throughout the day, less frequently, but still crashes (about 2 times per day instead of 6+).  So its a step in the right direction.  I wanted to see if there were any  settings in the Dell Power Manager, but there are no settings.  There is only 1 tab, the "Battery Information", the screenshots online show more tabs along the left, which are completely missing.  Further, when starting, it warns "Install the DPM component service from Dell.com before using the application.", but I thought that was the component above that IS installed.

Capture.PNG

So, I have 2 questions:

1.  Does anyone know what driver or component that is missing to allow the fan controls to show up in the Dell Power Manager?

2.  Has anyone else had issues with frequent blue-screens on this device?  I have seen some complaints online, including at least 1 person who said he re-applied the thermal paste to the CPU and it fixed his over-heat issues.  Perhaps there is some units that were shipped with some kind of assembly issue?  Should I RMA the unit?

1 Message

November 28th, 2018 05:00

Well I have a XPS 13 9370 and it has the BSOD problem, restarts about once per hour. I installed the power manager, to no effect.

The problem seems to be worse while the TB16 dock is attached.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 28th, 2018 08:00

Hi mafrmt00,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is some information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful:

Identify and Troubleshoot Windows Crashes and Restarts caused by Blue Screen (BSOD) errors on a Dell Computer

Windows 10 crashes to a blue screen

and a short video:  BSOD: How to Fix Blue Screen Errors 

1 Message

May 10th, 2019 00:00

My XPS 13 9370 was also experiencing frequent crashing an rebooting. I tried the video (F2 on reboot) suggested by some in the community and it didn't solve the crashing. I did notice it crashed most frequent when running heavy computation so I decided to disable the Turbo option (F2 on reboot) and it hasn't crashed for more than 3 hours so far.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2019 18:00

Did a clean install, tried to use Dell Support Assist to make sure all drivers were updated, kept freezing, then crashing.  Did another clean install.  Tried to use Dell Support Assist.  Froze, crashed (BSOD again, Bad Pool Caller I think?), about every 2 minutes after booting up.  Found a post on Reddit about Dell Support Assist causing the issue, did a clean install, haven't gone anywhere near Dell Support Assist.  No further issues. 

51 Posts

July 31st, 2019 03:00

Hi all, hi TKE417, first of all thanks for this info. Some additional info on my behalf to share with others:

I had an XPS 13 9350 that showed the same issue (very regular BSOD's with BAD_POOL_CALLER error messages). Had this issue with Windows 10 1903 but also previous Windows 10 installations. Even replaced/upgraded the motherboard to a new i7/16Gb (kept the old i5/8Gb one) but the BSOD's kept occurring. So this isn't a hardware issue, which surprised me. 

Long story short: Removed DELL Support Assist via Windows 10 Apps.

After that no more issues / no more BSOD's.

The 'old' (i5/8Gb) motherboard will be reused in a dead/non-starting XPS 13 9350 that I purchased on Marktplaats ("Dutch Ebay") for a very competitive and economic price.

1 Message

January 24th, 2020 13:00

I am ahaving the same bsod as soon as i try to even download dell suppoer assist. 

Barely goes 10 minutes and just show bad pool caller on  blue screen.

Uninstalled and it goes away. 

Obvs frustrating as support assist deals with updating drivers and such.

Has anyone found a solution?

1 Message

January 26th, 2020 04:00

Hey man. I have the same exact problem. After doing a clean installation on my Dell XPS 13, I installed Dell Support Assistant and keeps getting BSOD with the same error as you guys. After uninstalling Dell Support Assistant, the problem goes away. Any other alternatives for me to install Dell drivers without using Dell Support Assistant? 

No Events found!