Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 17:00

Dell XPS 15 7590 USB-C charging 65W.

I have a 90W USB-C power adapter that goes 20V/4.5A and I use a USB-IF certified USB-C gen 2 (10gbs/5A/100W), and when I connect it through the thunderbolt port on my Dell XPS 15 7590, a warning that tells that the charger is slow appears. Also, on the BIOS, it only recognize my charger as a 65W charger. I have also tried a Macbook pro 87W usb-c charger and the same message appears. The power adapters and usb-c cables are not the problem since I have tested many.

How can I resolve this? The max input could not be 65W since Dell sells a 130W usb-c power adapter for this laptop... 

Please help, I do not want to use an enormous 130W adapter when travelling, but 65W is way too slow.

489 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 10:00

USB-C devices are not required to take any power level offered by the charger. For some reason, XPS 15 tends to accept 65W or 60W @ 20V, even if the charger offers some more. Mind anything under 130W tends to result in a restricted mode, and 130W is in fact above the USB PD standard (max 100W), so I wouldn't expect anything non-Dell to work. Though, 60W is more than enough for office work and web browsing, as a travel charger...

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 23rd, 2020 13:00

@alex345  you can't resolve this, because it's a firmware limitation imposed by Dell itself.  Dell systems at this time seem to be limited to drawing 65W from any non-Dell charger, even when the charger offers more and the system could use more.  I wrote an entire thread about this here.  I personally travel with a 60W charger but I've resigned myself to the fact that it's only useful for charging my system overnight and keeping its battery level maintained.  I basically don't count on being able to use it to charge my system and run it at the same time, only one or the other.

@samos1111  no 65W is not enough for a system that requires 130W.  On both the XPS 15 and similar Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme models, using a 60-65W power source results in noticeable performance throttling even without the GPU active (and very noticeable throttling with it active) and incredibly slow battery charge time.  I manage to make it work for what I need to do on the road, but I can absolutely see why it might not be viable for others.

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 14:00

Wow, Dell has no real reason to limit this to 65W, as Apple, Lenovo, Microsoft and many others can all be charged from usb-c at more than 65W. What a bad move. Please Dell make a firmware update.

489 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 14:00

Of course it is throttled down a lot. The GPU seems to be throttled more than on battery and I couldn't change this. The CPU uses the "on battery" values of the power profile and can be un-throttled in the advanced settings. Whether 60W is enough depends a lot on what you're doing. When idling, the consumption can be less than 10W. With full CPU load it reaches 90W, so may need to drain the battery in addition.

I was using a 45W round-plug charger for travelling light with the 9550 and it used to work fine for me (no serious work though). But recently I was having issues because it periodically throttles down really heavily (also on battery). 

20 Posts

August 31st, 2020 05:00

Same here,

I have a 100W USB PD charger, but the BIOS reports it is 65W only.

This needs to be fixed by Dell!

20 Posts

August 31st, 2020 06:00

Ooops! I misread I misread the title for this discussion. For what it's worth, my computer is not an XPS 7590, but an XPS 9750. Not that I think it makes much of a difference for this matter...

Is there any way to ask Dell to support this fix? It is a two-year old computer, but it cost me quite a fortune in its day... And I'm sure that it would only take changing a couple of values in some table and distribuite with their next BIOS update. It can already take 130W from a Dell dock which is outside USB PD bounds, so the hardware is certainly up to it.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 31st, 2020 06:00

@Lobotomik  Since I wrote my reply above, users have confirmed that the new XPS 15 9500 supports at least up to 90W charging from third party sources — unclear about 100W last time I checked — but I haven’t seen anything about this limitation being retroactively removed from earlier models. But I agree this should absolutely be fixed and seems a completely arbitrary and unnecessary limitation.

10 Posts

March 20th, 2021 06:00

Another vote from another user who bought a 100W USB-C (mine being from Monoprice, #41986, released ~2020 or 2021) explicitly for charging their XPS 15 (2019 XPS 15- 9570- GTX 1050Ti- i7-8750H). 

After double and triple checking my charger and cable, and using a wattage reader that never got above ~63w, I booted into bios to see what options I had. I was disappointed (like these other readers) that the system is recognizing it as a 65w charger and is likely a functional limiting the incoming charge. 

25 Posts

June 1st, 2023 11:00

Same thing here, there wasn't any clear warning from Dell, and SEO on third party type c charger's virtually non-existant, at least it is for me. So I was so heartbroken when I found out that my spanking new 140w Gan5 Baseus charger could only charge at a limited 65w because Dell only wants you to use their official chargers... I own no other device that need this kind of power so it is essentially a glorified paperweight for me. I'm using my used to cost me a fortune 9575..... Dell please please please rectify this really dumb and unecessary DRM.

March 30th, 2024 18:19

Oh wow.. around with this problem with my xps15 7590 and gave up. And of course this happens after your warranty. 

Bought a new surface n. Never ever dell again for me. 

(edited)

No Events found!