Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2020 02:00

XPS 15 7590, false battery warning

Hallo everyone, I have a XPS 15 7590 and when I wanna wake my laptop up from sleeping it's saying it doesn't have any battery left. Today I went to school with my laptop left at 66%. When on school I wanted to write down what my professor was saying so I took my laptop and when turning on my laptop said: "warning low battery". Back on my dorm I plugged in my laptop and it said 65% left and charging.

I went looking in the BIOS and starting with AC power isn't on. For the rest Dell Power Manager is saying my battery is excellent. I'm having this trouble after updating my BIOS to version 1.8.1. I only have my laptop for one year and it's a very good one. I hope you can help me with my problem.

Thank you.

4 Posts

February 19th, 2021 02:00

@mrosetany update on your new battery?

Like @ppXenon I have found that the BIOS update had no effect. I can still start my laptop a low as 18% battery in battery saver mode, but it will not start without battery saver at anything less than 50% battery.

It is about time DELL came clean and supplied us all with new batteries, if that is the cure, as I think this laptop is not fit for purpose as it is performing at present. Ok if you can plug it in all the time, but not as a portable device.

1 Message

February 20th, 2021 01:00

Dell 7590, same issue. After opening the lid, battery charged but laptop turning off and reporting critical battery. If started up with AC I can disconnect and battery works normally until I close the lid and let it rest for some time.

7 Posts

February 20th, 2021 09:00

Has anyone tried to do a reset? As I told you, this problem happened after the last pc update

I hate Dell.

24 Posts

February 20th, 2021 14:00

@Todoted12 what do you mean by a reset?
Did you try it?

@Anonymous ARE YOU FOLLOWING THIS THREAD???
I'm tired of subpar support.

-p

4 Posts

February 20th, 2021 17:00

I also have this exact same issue on my Dell XPS 15 7590, which is just over 12 months old.

I'm pretty sure this started happening late last year and I finally got round to raising this with Dell tech support under warranty in late January. They made a bunch of changes including updating the BIOS to latest, tweaking some of my battery/power settings and ensured I was using the latest version of Windows, etc, they then asked me to monitor the situation for a week and getting back to them. Of course Dell closed the call a day later and my warranty period has now ended!

This laptop is not fit for purpose as a portable device any more. Poor show for such an expensive bit of kit.

Dell, you need to do the decent thing here...

51 Posts

February 21st, 2021 14:00

Hi @eccles32 , hi all,

I am currently typing this message to you on my XPS 7590 after having replaced the battery by a new one. I'll explain what my findings have been the last couple of days in chronological order:

1. First of all, I have (again) successfully reproduced the issue with my EXISTING/OLD battery. Battery level was about 34% when switching it off in Battery Saver mode, and then turning it back on approx. 6-8 hours later. When it started up again, I experienced the dreaded 'battery empty' problem that we're discussing here, and that I have experienced also every single time when the battery capacity fell below approx. 50%.

2. I then switched off the notebook, opened it up and replaced the battery with the NEW one.   

3. Switched it back on. It started up with approx. 25% battery capacity. I decided to charge the battery until approx. 45% before continuing.  (BTW: Battery Saver was still turned on)

4. Switched off the notebook, left it for a minimum of 6-8 hours, then switched it back on. No 'battery empty' message / I could work without having to connect an AC-power supply for many more hours.

5. Switched off the notebook again (this time in Hibernation Mode). This time, I also switched off the Battery Saver Mode. Again left it for a minimum of 6-8 hours, then switched it back on. No 'battery empty' message, all is fine.

CONCLUSIONS:

- Replacing the battery clearly fixes the issue.

- Battery Saver Mode does not affect the issue (positively nor negatively)

- BIOS Versions / BIOS Updates do not affect the issue (positively nor negatively)

- Swiching it off completely or using Hibernation mode does not affect the issue (positively nor negatively)

- The OLD battery clearly has some kind of an internal issue with the BMS (Battery Management System, hence the electronics, not the battery cells themselves, seems at fault  (IMHO at least...)

- The XPS itself is working properly (in other words: This issue is not related to the main board or anything related to the fixed/non-replaceable parts of the laptop)  

- On the outside, apart from the 2D-barcode (I will share the old and new codes printed below the 2D barcode in a couple of minutes), no clear cosmetic differences were observed when comparing the OLD to the NEW battery. 

51 Posts

February 21st, 2021 14:00

OK, here's the info printed on the battery labels beside/below the 2D-barcode on the battery:

=======================

OLD 2D-barcode (Issue present):
2019/08 (Printed vertically on the side of the 2D-barcode)
CN-0GPM03-SLW00-983-414Z-A03 (printed horizontally under the 2D-barcode)

=======================

NEW 2D-barcode (issue absent):
(NOTHING Printed vertically on the side of the 2D-barcode)
CN-0GPM03-SLW00-09U-40S1-A07 (printed horizontally under the 2D-barcode)

=======================

My assessment is that both batteries (DELL P/N CN-GPM03) are produced in China (duh), and that the firmware or hardware version of the BMS inside the battery has been updated from revision A03 to A07. The rest contains a serial number, based on a Google search performed and other users' info.

Would it be an option for all of you with similar problems to share your CURRENT/OLD battery label contents ? Perhaps this will ring a bell somewhere, or will provide DELL with more detailed info to request feedback from their supplier on this specific batch of batteries giving issues.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 01:00

Thanks for the detailed post, @mroset. I'll have a look as soon as I can and post my battery details here.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 05:00

Dell will replace my battery on Wednesday (which I think is very good service). I hope this fixes my problem. I'll let you know the results.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 07:00

@RobCoenen is your laptop currently under warranty and did you have to pay for the replacement? Thanks.

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 07:00

Have exactly same problem, XPS 15 9570 purchased Summer 2018.  Obviously out of warranty.  Called Dell, they are offering replacement battery for US$149, arrives in two weeks.  Have ordered instead a third-party vendor for less than half that price, figured it's worth testing it out.  Arrives Thurs, let's see if it fixes the problem.

24 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 10:00

Thanks @mroset for your detailed report and investigation. All that you say makes a lot of sense.

@Ken SD hope it will go well and will resolve for you.

Yet, I'm sorry you have to pay for the replacement. The battery issue should be treated by DELL as a recall and everyone impacted SHOULD get a replacement battery for free.

DELL silence in this thread is not acceptable.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 00:00

We haven't heard from you since our last conversation. We will proceed towards archiving the case if there is no response in the next 24 hours. Kindly reach out if you need further assistance.

51 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 00:00

@DELL-Cares 

Please keep this thread open, since it is very much alive. While the issue has been resolved for some (including myself, see forum text), it hasn't been for many others in this thread. 

While we're at it, can you provide a status update with regard to the contact with/analysis of your engineers and/or contact with the battery supplier. This problem obviously seems related to a specific batch of batteries. I'm pretty sure the battery supplier will be able to provide more info and knowledge on this issue.

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 03:00

Seriously Dell ? Are you going to do something about this issue ? We've been asking for months already. There's no way I spend more money on a new battery when the issue is clearly from the hardware (which you're responsible of), and considering I have 2 years of Premium Support. I think it's fair to be expecting free battery replacements. Or maybe your plan is to wait until our warranties have expired ?
No Events found!