Unsolved

Closed

P

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

January 9th, 2021 10:00

Dell XPS 15 7590 missing keystrokes

There are one or two older messages on this subject for the XPS laptop but I'm posting here because my fix was a bit different. For me, it was an easy fix. 

Symptom: on a brand new XPS 15 7590 right out of the box, not all keystrokes were registering on the keyboard as I typed. An average of 1 out of every 10 keys would fail to register. The problem did not depend on how fast I was typing and it affected random keys. However, an external USB keyboard worked fine. Running Dell update did not fix the problem. 

The problem appears to have been related to the NVIDIA display driver, or lack thereof. I knew that my laptop was supposed to have an NVIDIA display card, but as delivered, there was no sign of it. Device Manager > Display adapters only listed Intel, and right-mouse-button clicking on the desktop showed no NVIDIA control panel in the pop-up menu. 

I updated/reinstalled the BIOS. The BIOS can be updated via the Support tab, selecting your model, selecting Drivers and Downloads, then searching for BIOS. In the list for me, there is "Dell XPS 15 7590 System BIOS URGENT". After downloading this and running the update, and rebooting, the NVIDIA display driver appeared in Device Manager and the NVIDIA control panel appeared when I right-mouse-button click on the desktop. This fixed the keystroke problem for me. 

• 

25.7K Posts

January 10th, 2021 04:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

February 14th, 2021 07:00

Follow up--the above description isn't the whole story. While re-installing / updating the BIOS does indeed fix the problem, it's a temporary fix. An easier (but still temporary) way is, on reboot, hitting F2 and entering BIOS setup, then choosing to restore BIOS factory defaults. The laptop will then boot with the NVIDIA driver and keyboard functionality will be normal again. 

The problem recurs for me when the laptop crashes, and the crash message indicates some problem with the sleep mode of the computer. I've stopped putting the laptop to sleep, and instead powering off when I don't need it. Possibly because of this, the frequency of this problem has gone way down to the point where I no longer feel a need to pursue more time-consuming fixes. 

July 11th, 2022 17:00

I have he same poblem the keboard misses keyy stokes when I'm tying to type.

I will neve rbuy anothe rDell again.

September 13th, 2022 09:00

I am experiencing the same problem with my XPS 15 7590, except...

1. My missed keystrokes are more frequent (1 out of 4 to 6 are missed)
  2. I am already up-to-date with BIOS updates, and the NVIDIA display adapter is already present and visible in Device Manager

Just like the original poster, I don't experience the problem when using an external keyboard.   However, using an external keyboard is not really an option when I'm on the road, and I'm at my wit's end dealing with this problem. 

I will try to avoid using the 'Sleep' function to see if that helps.   (You would not believe how long it took to write this short and simple post on the integrated keyboard)

64 Posts

September 18th, 2022 02:00

My XPS15 7590 has exactly the same issue. So, yesterday I did a Dell update which included the latest BIOS (22 I think) and I do see 2 display devices (including the NVIDIA) in my Device Manager.  I'm running Visual Studio 2022 and the problem is waaayy worse in there than typing in this Chrome web browser.

1 Message

January 17th, 2023 17:00

So, here's my problem, missing keystrokes, yes, usually I have to hit it a few times for certain numbers, such as 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, which just happen to be the numbers I've noticed it the most on.  Full diagnostics/etc, everything "passes", however, I still have the intermittent problem.  At this point I'd just like to get a replacement keyboard and replace it myself and be done with it.

17 Posts

May 19th, 2023 10:00

I have a similar keyboard problem with my XPS 15 7590 (all updates and firmware are installed).
I initially noticed it a year ago and contacted Dell. But none of the steps they suggested helped. I didn't follow up since I have been using an external keyboard ( I have used the laptop keyboard less than 50 hours in the past 2 years).
It's gotten worse to the point that the laptop is barely usable without an external keyboard! For example, I just pressed all alphabet keys from left to right, top to bottom, and got this "qertuioasghkxvnm" (16 out of 26!)

17 Posts

May 22nd, 2023 12:00

I just tried typing in the BIOS setting to rule out any hypothesis of Windows/Driver malfunction!
I have the same problem in the BIOS page! 
I pressed firmly all alphabet keys from left to right, top to bottom, and got the followings:

First try: ertyuioasdghkxcnm   (missed qwpfjlzvb) 

Second try: qwertyuioasfghjklzxvbnm  (missed pdc)

Dell support, please feel free to jump in!

May 22nd, 2023 12:00

I would say "barely usable" is very charitable of you.  I posted above about this in Sept 2022.  I haven't found a solution.   I now carry around a portable fold-up keyboard to use when I am on the road.   It looks ridiculous since that external keyboard is barely larger than the actual laptop keyboard, but the laptop is otherwise worthless without an external keyboard.   Or you can bring up the onscreen keyboard and try to get along with that.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2023 09:00

xps 17 2023 has the same issue. Missing keystroke while plugged in, with either original 130W adapter or 3rg party pd charger. 

No Events found!