Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

D

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 06:00

Dell XPS 15 (9500) won't boot up, keeps entering Preparing to Repair then Diagnosing your PC?

Hi All, my first post here and I hope someone can help me out. I have a new XPS 15 (9500) it has crashed twice now first time was after 3 days of use. It was purchased on the 6 August 2020. It crashed whilst updating a webforum similar to this. I can't imagine it was the site or Chrome that caused it. The Windows Recovery screen appeared and i chose the option to restart the laptop. Everything came back to life and all looked good. I put it down to an isolated freak event and thought no more of it.

Second time was yesterday - I was running Dell Support Assist, the full scan completed and one driver update was flagged. I chose to update this driver RealTek Audio Driver. (By the way I have run this Support Assist a few times now without issue). The driver downloaded and starting to install then this second crash occurred, again black screen and then recovery window but now restart just loops around. More serious this time, the laptop now refuses to Boot up and cycles around the Dell Logo stating Preparing Auto Repairs and then Diagnosing your PC. I've tried everything I know as an amatuer to fix this. But it persists. I know have no Sound, Systray Icon states No Audio Output Device is Installed. I tried deleting and refreshing the RealTek Drivers but no luck. The Laptop is under Warranty and Support but no Tech Support in the UK operating on a Sunday. Anyone else had problems with this product? and any advice on what to do? I will call Dell tomorrow but I'm stuck just now.

Many thanks - David

15 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 06:00

Plenty of other folks are having the same problem with the latest Realtek driver. The solution is to disable Audio in BIOS > Connected Devices, then you should be able to boot back into Windows and uninstall the Realtek driver. In future, use Dell Update instead of SupportAssist, as with it you can select which drivers to install and skip the Realtek one for now.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 07:00

Thank you TOPG, I'll do that in the meantime, and use Dell Update in future, or at least not install updates via Support Assist, as it does other scanning tasks and performance tuning.

Thank you for the quick response.

David

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 16:00

Hi

I have the exact same issue. Received my XPS 15 (9500) two weeks ago. This afternoon the Dell Support Assist scanned my laptop and a new driver for RealTek Audio Driver. Updated done, laptop rebooted and then the issues started . Automatic Repair can repair. I've even done a full restore to factory image. Worked but when Dell Support Assist ran again and installed this time other updates...once the laptop rebooted I'm in the same situation... Automatic Repair... your PC did not start correctly. I'm on-line with support (actually waiting for them to take the call for the last 35 minutes). Brand new laptop. This is unacceptable 

1 Message

I had the same exact issue. I just recently purchased mine tho and decided to completely factory reset it. I tried calling but the reset took too long so I never figured out till now what the driver might be. However, the issue started when I downloaded the driver from the dell update app instead of windows update.

1 Message

Experiencing the same issue as well. Got the laptop a few days ago and no problems. And after i ran the supportassist update an hour ago and updated the realtek drivers my device has been stuck in and endless loop of booting and windows recovery. I can get in fine when disableing audio in the bios but cant play sound as a result obviously. Occansionaly I have been able to get in with the audio enabled but it didnt work either way. Sometimes it asks for a Bitlocker key, sometimes it doesnt. Dont know how to revert back to the old drivers. Hope this gets fixed very soon.

(edited)

• 

25.7K Posts

August 23rd, 2020 19:00

Hi,

First of all I'm sorry for the incomplete message. What I meant was, I do not* see any know issues.

Let us try the below steps:

Disable Connected Standby on the device: https://dell.to/2EpZDN8
Clean Boot: https://dell.to/2CQE9se
Checking in a new user profile: https://dell.to/3aP8VOO

If the new user profile works, you can continue using this new account and transfer all the existing details such as data, files to this account.

Dell-ArunV

August 23rd, 2020 21:00

Same as above. The latest Realtek Audio drivers crashed my windows. I ended up formatting and re-installing. 

For good measure I installed them again and had the same problem. So without any doubt, the latest Realtek drivers (6.0.8988.1) are not safe to install. 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

August 24th, 2020 03:00

Hi All

To fix the the problem I deleted all references to Realtek drivers in Device Manager, remember these are spread around as they are not only in Audio. The re scan for hardware changes, I then noticed the Audio driver had an issue and updated the driver by download from internet (not from the PC) a new working driver was loaded succussfully and now all works okay including sound.

Also no need to tinker with the BIOS. I won't be trusting Dell Support Assist, what a disaster i nearly considered returning my brand new laptop thinking it was faulty. Bad Karma.

Hope that helps.

5 Posts

August 24th, 2020 14:00

Hi everyone

Sorry for my late reply. Issue is fixed (the hard way). I've restore the factory image then re-installed the "driver" that caused the issue Realtek and rebooted...blue screen. Re-did the process the image factory, install all the Windows 10 updates plus all the Dell updates (except the Realtek)... works #1. Used my image software to create an image of my existing system. Once done I've install again the driver... blue screen. So for sure the latest Realtek driver IS the cause of the issue. I restored my latest image and laptop works #1. Lets hope the provide eventually a bug free new Realtek driver.

Kind regards

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

August 27th, 2020 01:00

I ran Support Assist just now and it is still recommending installing that Realtek driver dated 19 Aug 2020. Surely Dell should have pulled this by now. Ridiculous.

September 15th, 2020 13:00

Update on this. The Dell Update shows a new version (6.0.9008.1, 07 Sep 2020).

Going to try and install it....wish me luck...

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

October 16th, 2020 01:00

Hi, How did the install go. Did it work okay?

No Events found!