Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 08:00

Dell XPS 15 9510 Heating Issue

I have been using the Dell XPS 15 9510 since 1 week and started having the issues of heating. The graphics card is been high(70 degree Celsius) on temperature on an ideal condition. And the power brick is too hot to handle and cannot even touch the power brick. Also the fps are not good in games according to the system specs and the cost you are actually taking for. Too disappointed from the XPS line up, as it was my first ever laptop purchased from my own money 🥲🥲🥲...

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 17:00

XPS 9510 is one of the newer XPS 15s, so most probably in warranty. If it's heating that much than obviously, it won't perform in any games. 

Start with the most basic. 

RESET BIOS to default 

Install Dell power manager from the windows store and choose the thermal profile to cool. 

1 Message

August 9th, 2022 08:00

I have a question about that too. I own the xps 15 9510 since a week and it has an extremely bad thermal performance.

Intel i7 1800h
Rtx 3050ti

Even at 4% GPU usage, the termperatures go up to 70 degrees and the fans spin like crazy. Is this normal? 

If so, how would i ever be able to use the full potential of the 3050ti?

When i choose "cooling" in the temperature management of the Dell power Manager, 
the GPU is throtteled completely. 

I work with TouchDesigner, a real-time visualization programm and in "cooling" mode the

framerate drops from 60 to 24fps, even with the GPU operating at only 4%.

Does somebody have a suggestion what to do about this?
BIOS refresh, driver updates - did all of that, it changed nothing. 

Or is it just normal for the GPU to get so hot at low loads?

PS: I installed Windows 10, because i'm more familiar with it and because the performance was way worse on win 11, not even the OS (without any heavy programs) ran smoothly.

GPU thermals.PNG

August 30th, 2022 11:00

Having same heatness problem and I my keyboards started to get peeling because of that. I called DELL support, they changed the motherboard/keyboards, but 5 month later, it started to peel again...same heat problem. I'm very disappointed with this laptop...and it was very expensive. I don't know what to do because the premium support last only 1 year (end on December), and if they didn't fix it the last time, and now the problem is coming back again and again, maybe my computer will not last another year....

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 30th, 2022 13:00

Heat and ventilation are issues with pretty well all modern thin laptops. You might want to do what I did:

I took a strip of lumber, about 3.5 cm. wide x 2 cm. high (1.5" x 3/4"}, and the length equal to the width of my laptop. I routed out two notches to accommodate the laptop's rear feet. The rear of the laptop sits in those notches, propping up the rear by 2 cm. That provides a little better ventilation underneath the laptop and makes it easier for the fan to draw in air via the bottom vent. 

It's cheap insurance, and also positions the keyboard at a slight angle that makes typing more comfortable. It won't solve a major heat issue, but it helps somewhat.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

August 31st, 2022 00:00

Your Dell computer can overheat because of insufficient air flow due to dust or debris blocking the air vents, exhaust ports, or a clogged fan. An overheating computer can intermittently restart, shutdown, or experience performance issues. Eventually excessive heat can cause damage to the internal components.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

August 31st, 2022 07:00

If you wanted to utilize graphic card to it's full potential than buying an Ultrabook is not the way to go. 

Even if it's not over heating it's not performing to it's fullest. A gaming or workstation notebook will. 

Update BIOS and all drivers using support assist.  Run Dell power manager and see if it's set on performance mode. Machine is in 30 days period so you have to make a decision whether you wanna go for repairs/replacements/refund. 

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

September 1st, 2022 01:00

Indeed, thin-and-lights with hot chips can't get max performance out of them for more than a couple of minutes. Because they lack half a kg in heatpipes and cooling fins, hence their guts overheat and power limit throttling kicks in. Not sure if the power supply is even capable of feeding both the CPU and the GPU at once at their max consumption.  

Also, dust blocking the fans may cause problems within weeks if working in a dusty environment. 

In case of quick thermal throttling within seconds of heavyish workloads (seen with HWinfo64), improper thermal paste application is a very likely cause. Thin-and-lights designs are very sensitive to this, and Dell (and others) have a long history of these issues, combined with the absence of QC, because taking proper care of this would slow down production

It is possible to get some Gelid EC or Kryonaut and repaste yourself, but only if you're handy with electronics repairs - check some YT videos. The messiest part is cleaning the old paste. It is also tricky to tighten the screws just right - too little and the gap between the heatsink and the chips is too wide, too much and you may strip the screw threads; it is also important that the gap is even, and thiuckness of different thermal pads around the chips may cause issues. 

Sometimes it is enough to just tighten the screws a little bit so that excess paste gets squeezed out from the gap (any non-electrically-conductive paste is much worse heat conductor than the chip and heatsink metal) - but the original paste is "thick" and requires high screw pressure. 

A cracked heatpipe is another possible cause. 

1 Message

January 5th, 2024 07:52

I also just purchased this same computer and began using it yesterday.  It became alarmingly hot, even with the bottom propped and an external fan blowing underneath. 

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

February 21st, 2024 23:09

Same issue , using at properly flat table, room with air-conditioning, tray open the case, fan in clean condition, heatsink pipe good, but temperature still to hot , even in bios mode not booting to windows

(edited)

No Events found!