Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 5th, 2022 21:00

Dell XPS 15 9520 Bitlocker?

I bought this laptop and opened it up.  It has windows 11 pro.  Created a microsoft account first since that was required.  Had to create a password and a windows pin.  So now I log in with the pin.

I then went and created a local account under the microsoft account because I want a local account.  That is how I used my old dell xps with windows 10 pro.  I would power on my laptop, then enter my bitlocker pin, then enter my windows 10 password to get access to my laptop.

Now when I start up my xps 15 9520 now, it ask for my pin.  I entered the local account password I created and log in. 

1.  So to log into my local account, I have to enter my local account password everytime correct?

2.  When I typed in bitlocker, I see manage bitlocker and click on it.  Now why in the world does it shows bitlocker is turned on when I never turned it on?  With windows 10 pro, I had to enable it.  That required going through lot of steps.  So at the moment, bitlocker is on... yet how come it doesn't ask me for my bitlocker pin... before asking me for my local account password?  Is that how dell laptops are set up?  Am I using device encryption now or bitlocker?  So this is bitlocker without TPM or TPM?  I remember with windows 10 pro, I used TPM with options.

3.  How do i set up bitlocker the same way like on windows 10 pro?  I want to power on laptop, it ask me for my bitlocker pin.  Then it would ask me for my windows 11 local account password?   I remember with windows 10 pro, I had to make changes to settings where my pin could contain both numbers and letters etc.

4.  Do most people who set up a microsoft account first to set up the computer, then just enable bitlocker that way?  So they enter a bitlocker pin, and then the microsoft account pin as oppose to the local account password?

5.  Also on that bitlocker page, it does show For your security, some settings are managed by your system administrator. Does that matter? Do I need to go back to the microsoft account I created earlier when I set up the account?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 5th, 2022 22:00

@quickguide01 wrote:

Now when I start up my xps 15 9520 now, it ask for my pin.  I entered the local account password I created and log in. 

1.  So to log into my local account, I have to enter my local account password everytime correct?

1. Correct

I don't really use BitLocker, so someone else will have to answer those questions.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 5th, 2022 22:00

Well even if you don't use bitlocker, is bitlocker automatically enabled for you?  Because that seem to be the case here with my new xps 15 9520.

But I want to enter my bitlocker pin as well which should be how it is.  Makes no sense having bitlocker enabled but no bitlocker pin to enter?

457 Posts

October 8th, 2022 07:00

I use BitLocker so hopefully I can help. Also I see you're posting a lot regarding your 9520, that's fine but I'd suggest you 'condense' the forum posts in the future so everything is not so scattered. I do not work for Dell but I can say that W11 pro laptops usually ship with BitLocker enabled (my XPS did). Creating an MS account for your laptop shouldn't ever be required (the setup will make it seem like it is, but if you click the right buttons you can bypass it). How many accounts do you currently have on your laptop?

No Events found!