Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 8th, 2020 09:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Max Ram Upgrade?

I have an old dell Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop for many years already with 8b ram.

I am planning to upgrade to more ram... either 16gb ram or 32gb ram.  It would be 2 sticks each so 8gb each or 16gb each.

I see the 16gb is single rank and the 32gb ram is dual rank.  Price is 63 dollars vs 125 dollars.  Now is the single rank much better than dual rank?  I heard dual bank is slower?

Now assuming I want to futureproof my laptop for many years... i want to continue using it many years... i should upgrade to  32gb ram right?  I also bought a brand new tb samsung 970 evo nvme as my new hard drive so i dont need to buy a new laptop and upgrade this old machine.

Also, i read online that  64gb ram is actually the max for this machine when i googled it when i saw a post about this.  Is this true or is 32gb ram the max?  

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

October 8th, 2020 10:00

Thanks. Okay so with those two options I listed for ram upgrade, which would you choose then?

Should i pay double the amount to max the ram?  Again, I do plan to continue to use this laptop for a long time and I been using it since a few years already... and i upgraded the nvme ssd to samsung 970 evo

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

Whatever RAM you buy should be in matched pairs for best performance;  I can't speak to the RAM you're asking about because there are no details.  Best:  ask the vendor, or buy from Crucial, which guarantees compatibility.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

32G is the max supported and certified.

Anything more:  trial and error;  you won't find support for it.

No Events found!