Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

September 9th, 2020 19:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 Swollen Battery And Battery Replacement?

Dell xps 15 9550.  I bought this laptop many years ago so no longer in warranty. I had this laptop for many years. Windows ten pro. I turned on my laptop and it said it was scanning and fixing my c drive. Earlier today, it went to one hundred percent complete and has been like this for many hours until I decided to power it off and power back on and laptop seems to work fine now.

The thing was few weeks ago, i had the battery swelling on my keyboard and i read this could cause damage to my laptop.

I was going to fix this issue soon as go to repair shop and have them remove the battery so i could use it plugged as I thought maybe the message i got from it possibly could been b/c of battery swollen?  Or it should have nothing to do with it?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

For previous owners of the dell xps 15 9550 series or 9560 or 9570 or any xps series, how long did you have your swollen battery for before you replaced it? I read it could be a safety hazard as in explosions or possibly damage the computer? Is it safe to use for weeks or months with it?

Did you all remove the battery and use it as is plugged in... in the meantime until you bought a replacement battery? From what I read online, some ppl say its a safety issue but i read someone said Dell said this isn't a safety issue?

I had the trackpad bulging I believe... for maybe a month... I didn't notice it till few weeks ago... so it could have been even longer. I don't notice this because i use it connected to external monitors and used a wired keyboard so rarely use laptop keyboard/touchpad.  The battery swelling where it raises up the trackpad... it honestly isn't that bad if you  look at it. But is this a huge safety concern? 

Can someone who had a swollen battery in your xps laptops tell me how soon did you get a new battery? From reading online, lot of ppl who had the xps laptops have their laptops trackpad go bulge because of this. So this is a safety issue right? I read one or cases where the laptop exploded but that is rare?

So how long can you use the laptop with a swollen battery? So people in the meantime waiting for a new battery replacement, just immediately remove the battery then and use it on ac charging until they get a new battery?

For me, I will be heading back to the US in a week or two. So by then, I will have a new dell battery ready when I arrive. But do i need to remove the swollen battery now for the next week or two? Again, the laptop have had no issues at all for the last few weeks even when i noticed the trackpad got raised up until earlier today... which issue got fixed when i powered it off and powered it back on. Should i go to repair shop now and have them take out the swollen battery... then i use it while plugging in ac adapter charging for the next week or two until I get back to the US?

So my options are

1. Don't do anything and use computer as is until i get back to the US and replace battery back in the US.

2. Use computer as is for the next week or two and like 2 day before I'm leaving go to repair shop and them them remove the swollen battery... since even if it doesn't turn on... well no big deal since I won't have any work to do it on the next 1.5 days.

3. Immediately go to repair shop tomorrow and have them remove the swollen battery... then use it plugged in charged in ac adapter for the next week or two.

Has anyone with a swollen battery ever had the message I had mentioned in my original post? Thank you.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

Okay... so I decided to just power it off after it was on that dell scanning and repairing screen for over three and a half hours... then decided to just power it back on.... and it does work. I type in my bitlocker pin and have access to my laptop right now.

I mean i could have done this hours ago when this happened but I did not because my immediate thought was the swollen battery caused this. Had i not had the swollen battery issue, i would have powered it off and turned it back on hours ago. So right now my computer seems to be fine.

So what should i do now? Still go to repair shop and have them remove the swollen battery or not? I should still do this for safety issues right? I was planning to head back to the us in a week or two but because of this, was planning to head back in a few days had my laptop not turned back on. Again, when i go back to the US, i would be ordering either a new dell laptop or a new battery and new hard drive anyways b/c my hard drive space is low. Would you say there is a huge risk if i fly in a airplane with my laptop like with the battery swollen? Make sure the swollen battery is removed first before I fly back right?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

September 10th, 2020 05:00

The swollen battery is indeed a safety issue.  Left in the system, it will destroy the internal components (chassis, mainboard, etc.) and can do so without warning.  That will turn a $100-150 battery replacement into hundreds of dollars in repairs - or the need to replace the system.
And there is absolutely no way you'll be permitted to fly with a notebook showing a swollen battery.  The battery needs to be removed immediately and disposed of properly.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

September 10th, 2020 18:00

So most ppl remove swollen battery... use it on ac adapter power... until they get a replacement?  Also if the trackpad is just slightly raised up... that is one hundred percent the battery swollen right?  So if i use it with a dell powerbank... then that way even if i have short power outage, my laptop won't turn off right immediately as if i only plugged it to ac charger?

Again when i look at my touchpad ... i cant even tell unless i touch it b/c its not raised that high.  Like i need to really look at it.

But i read this is very common with all dell laptops in the xps serie when they are worn out?  I know my battery is over 90 percent worn.

Well is there a way to check if my components on the laptop are safe now?

Like is there a test the computer shop can do where it say... okay motherboard fine... ssd fine.. ram fine etc?  What is chasis?  So they could check that if they remove the battery out?  This would be a physical scan test and not a test online right?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 22:00

Hey. I will be going to repair shop tomorrow to have the swollen battery taken out. I didn't do it the last week or so because I wanted to do some things on my laptop. And yes i know ppl said im taking a risk not taking the battery out sooner. But i thought because it was like that for almost a month, another week, isn't going to make a difference. And someone else told me this error message i saw is definitely not related to the swollen battery.

There will be no issue having them take out the swollen battery if my hard drive is bitlocker enabled right? Like when they turn on my laptop when plugged in ac charger there, it will still ask me for my bitlocker pin? I will report back on this tomorrow once i get the swollen battery out. Will check the thread tomorrow morning, then head to repair shop.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

September 24th, 2020 03:00

As long as the system powers up, no -- replacing the battery won't affect bitlocker.

That said,  if you do not have an unencrypted backup of the system, make one immediately.  A mainboard or SSD failure CAN affect the drive, and particularly if this system has an SSD, recovering data from one is not always easy - and it's even impossible in come cases.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 09:00

I had the swollen battery taken out in a shop not long ago.  Right now using it plugged in ac charger with no issue.

I also received a new laptop battery 84wh from parts people.  Now i thought of some other issue.  The shop that removed my old battery, it was the smaller 56wh one... they disposed of it.

The new battery i got, i look at it and its just the battery.  Now my concern is... am i missing screws to put in the new battery?  I was planning to bring laptop to computer shop to put the new battery in... or i might do it myself... but don't i need screws to put in the new battery?  Note the computer shop that i will go to now... is not the same one as the shop that removed my old smaller swollen battery... that shop is in another location then where im at right now.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 3rd, 2020 14:00

Any computer shop doing such a repair will have the screws on hand to mount the larger battery (assuming the original shop mounted the original ones back where they came from it should just require a few more standard screws).

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 17:00

Hi. The issue is the shop who removed my swollen batteries.... Im not in that country anymore.  So Im not sure if they took out the screws in my laptop.

So if i were to install the laptop battery myself, would there be an issue?  Because its only the battery and not sure if i have all the screws?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 4th, 2020 03:00

Remove the base cover and check before planning the installation.  If the screws are missing, just about any decent computer shop can provide them, or you can order them with the battery.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

October 4th, 2020 09:00

They are standard screws that any computer shop worth using will have. 

And most prudent repair professionals will re-install the screws from where they came when removing a battery.  They can simply be re-inserted in the base holes that held them, battery or not.  You'll need to check whether they're there unless you can contact the original repair shop and ask what they did with them.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 4th, 2020 09:00

Okay thanks.  Well i needed to order the torx 5 screwdriver as i don't have that and waiting for i to arrive.

But are those screws for the laptop battery just standard screws?  So even a phone repair shop should have those screws right?  Or does it need to be specifically 9550 screws?

In general the screws stuck to the current laptop battery in a laptop... would fit with me any new battery even if its the bigger battery right?  Again i didnt think about this until recently when i thought.. wait when they removed my swollen small battery, what happened to the screws?  Do you think the screws are still inside though?  But where would they even attach it to right? 

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

October 22nd, 2020 11:00

Okay just now when I'm using the laptop... with it on battery, I connect my charger to it... it is charging, then i see it flashing orange in the light area.  Normally its suppose to be a white light.  It doesn't even charge.  I unplugged the charger, then plug it back in a bit later... it charges white light for a bit... now back to orange light.

Is my battery bad then?  This is so frustrating because I'm suppose to leave the country soon and I had this issue fixed two weeks ago.  Anyone can help me here?  

Do i do a battery report?

1 Message

June 11th, 2021 08:00

Not sure how serious the safety issues is, I had a swollen battery ages ago and Dell replaced it under warranty. It was like that for several moths (working fine) before replacement & Dell told me it wasn't a safety issue until they got round to fixing it. This was a very common issue with thios model.

Now, a couple of years later and out of warranty, I have the same problem again. Been like it for a couple of months now so I do want to replace it.

However, I fly quite a lot,a,nd have flown many times with the trackpad bulging and no-one has ever mentioned it, so I'd definitely take "...there is absolutely no way you'll be permitted to fly with a notebook showing a swollen battery" with a large pinch of salt.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2021 21:00

Mine has been swollen for 2 years. No explosion yet, but I think I’ll get it removed soon.

No Events found!