Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2018 03:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 USB-C to Displayport Issue

Hello All,

So I have been continuously searching on the forums and for information on how to resolve my issue but I just can't seem to get it to work. I am trying to plug a USB-C to Displayport cable into my 4K Samsung U28E590D and no matter what I have done, I can't get the connection working. The things that I have tried so far include:

And I know the cables all work as I have a Samsung S8 and all cables are able to display my phone onto the monitor. More importantly, every single time I plug in any of these cables, my Windows starts going screwy, the screen flashes, icons increase/decrease and I can barely even change any settings without my mouse being re-centered or disappearing for a while.

Does anyone else really have a solution for this problem, or know a work around? As I want to be sure that if I invest in anything else that it will work. And more to the point, I am sick of using my 4K monitor at a blurry 2K resolution.

Kind Regards,

Max

5 Posts

August 9th, 2018 09:00

Thanks so much for the information jphughan, I will definitely have a read through your massive post :). And thanks as well for the tip in regards to the TB16, I was pretty sure I had to buy the 240W but now you have made it absolutely clear! Though I will let you know if anything else worked on my side as I still don't really want to give up, especially since I know that the port does work!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 08:00

Why not use HDMI to HDMI instead? Worth a try.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2018 10:00

Sorry I should of explained better, currently I am using HDMI to HDMI. And because of that I can only get either 2K at 60Hz or 4k at 30Hz, both resolutions which I am not happy with. And on top of that, my USB-C to Displayport cable does not work at all, I have never once got it working on my Dell XPS and it is annoying me, as everywhere I read it is supposed to work!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 06:00

Based on all of the testing you've performed, the most likely explanation is an issue with the USB-C port on that system, which would require a motherboard replacement to address.

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 09:00

Thanks for the response, thats exactly what I was afraid of, especially since my warranty has expired. I have a dell dock at work, either a TB15 or TB16 (am not too sure at the moment) and I am going to give that one last try. If the system doesn't work on that then I will definitely know it is a broken/faulty USB-C slot.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2018 01:00

Ok I tested a TB16 dell dock at work and it worked with my laptop. It actually worked flawlessly, but I am still getting problems with the USB-C to Displayport connection. Perhaps I will just by myself a TB16 as well!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 29th, 2018 07:00

Wow, I admit I wouldn't have expected that, but glad to hear it worked!  Using Thunderbolt rather than regular USB-C causes the GPU to connect to the Thunderbolt controller for multiplexing with PCIe traffic before it exits the TB3 port, whereas with USB-C the GPU output goes straight to the USB-C port.  Using TB3 also gets you 2-4x the available display bandwidth because you get 2 full DP 1.2 channels from the GPU rather than one or half of one under USB-C, depending on how what type of USB-C cable/device you're connecting in the latter case (more details in a thread I wrote here.)  Using a TB16 would be a fairly expensive workaround, but I guess it would be better than an out of warranty motherboard replacement.  But since you've got an XPS 15, make sure that you buy a TB16 with the 240W AC adapter, not the 180W option that won't work properly with systems like the XPS 15 that require more power.  Or some third-party sellers seem to be selling TB16s with no AC adapters at all, in which case you can buy the correct AC adapter separately.

1 Message

September 24th, 2018 06:00

Hi there!

I am also having trouble connecting my Dell XPS 15 9560 to a Thunderbolt display.

The monitor I would like to use is LG 27MD5KA: https://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-27MD5KA-B. But I can connect it to the laptop only directly through Thunderbolt. It works now on my desk, but the laptop is being charged (with 60Watts) through that connection from the monitor.

I am afraid that If I connect the laptop to the original power adapter (at the same time as the laptop is connected to and charged from the monitor) it would get the power from two sources, the monitor and the power adapter. Could something go wrong?

Thus I am thinking of buying TB16 dock which would enable Thunderbolt connection from a dock to the monitor. But in that case wouldn't the dock get the power from the monitor (and the power adapter)?

What do you think?

Best Regards!

No Events found!