Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2019 01:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 adapter issue from US to India

I am visiting India with my 3 year old XPS 15 9550. My adapter was working fine at home in the USA, but here, I got a BIOS error that the adapter isn't recognized, and then of course my battery gave out so I can't reconfigure any settings.

The adapter is the 130w one that originally came with the computer. I had used a converter for the outlet, and tried a few outlets and also tried other things with the outlet, so it's probably not an outlet issue. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 30th, 2019 05:00

This forum post is not exactly the same issue but have a look here. My hunch is that the converter you are using, I assume you have to use the converter in the outlets you tried, is affecting the incoming voltage to the adapter. Consequently the adapter wattage is lower which fools the BIOS. Pure speculation but best guess.

The other option is that the centre pin in the DC jack on the system is either bent or broken.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 30th, 2019 19:00

This forum post should explain more. And the jack is available here. Out of stock now but the part numbers are listed on the site and should be available from Dell parts.

Dell Spare Parts at 800-357-3355..have your service tag when/if you call.

EDIT:I did find the jack here as well.

• 

25.7K Posts

22dell, 

Thanks for sharing the Service Tag. I've created a support ticket for you and will continue to interact over private message to safeguard your privacy. 

Dell-RonnieR

2 Posts

Thanks for the guesses - I think the converter is fine since it worked last time I was in India with all the same equipment.

Do you have more info about the jack? I think this is a possible issue. Thanks!

No Events found!