Closed

M

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

January 20th, 2020 04:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 Amber Light Blinking

Hi everyone, 

I am a student at college and a film-editor who uses his Dell Xps 15 9560 on a daily basis for work. Recently, my laptop has started flashing amber lights and each time i remove the charging cable it shuts down. I try to turn it back on but, no luck. This is very frustrating as I can't take my laptop to classes anymore or work on-the-go. Please help. 

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 20th, 2020 05:00

That sounds like a bad battery indication and more so since the system shuts down when the adapter is unplugged. In that case the cure is to replace the battery with a new genuine Dell battery. You can run diagnostics and the battery should indicate as bad. At the Dell splash screen start tapping F12 and run full diagnostics. Watch for battery errors.

1 Message

April 17th, 2020 19:00

I also have this exact problem. A constant blinking amber light on the charging indicator. When unplugging the charger the computer turns off.

1 Message

April 21st, 2020 17:00

i too have this problem. Any luck?

just randomly happened one day, my battery was fine before that.

Thinking about opening it to see if the battery is fully connected.

1 Message

April 25th, 2020 09:00

I also observed the same problem today. Does it mean, I have to replace my battery or is it due to the last software update I did on my XPS?

380 Posts

April 26th, 2020 03:00

Run the battery diagnostics on your system or open up an Administrative Command Prompt screen and enter the following:

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\BatteryRpt.html

[You can just copy and paste the above into the Command Prompt line]

You will get a battery report in HTML format (open it with your browser) in your "Downloads" folder.

JohnD

5 Posts

May 11th, 2020 02:00

same thing is happening with me right now... but it works fine when plugged in .......what should i do ?

anyone please?

5 Posts

May 11th, 2020 10:00

have u fixed your  laptop bro?

i am having the same problem from yesterday. 

5 Posts

May 11th, 2020 10:00

have u tried changing the battery?

1 Message

June 22nd, 2020 20:00

Exactly same problem here. Everything was fine one day and the next day the battery doesn't hold any charge at all anymore. Blinking orange light and shuts down when cable is removed.

I've run the diagbostics which gave the following

Error code: 2000-0132
Validation: 73590

This indicates a battery malfunction. I contacted Dell and they said my pro-support warranty won't cover it as batteries are supposed to have a life time. I agree batteries are expected to slowly get bad with time, but this is not what happened here. It went from fully functional to not holding any charge from one day to another.

I think the fact that many people are having the same problem more or less simultaneously indicates this is possibly a design flaw. 

5 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 10:00

I had the same issue with a Dell XPS 9560 which occurred right after doing an update. I called Dell and they say the battery is not covered under the additional warranty I purchased. I can understand battery life being finite. But it should not go from absolutely fine to dead as a result of the BIOS update released on June 19, 2020.

1 Message

June 29th, 2020 20:00

Mine too. My laptop was giving almost 10 Hrs backup. After the latest bios update it started behaving weird. Like, it shows 30% battery and all of a sudden it falls to 5% and shuts off. Then I kept it on charge over night. By morning it started showing amber blink and doesn't start on battery. What the heck! I've never seen a battery suddenly stops working over night. I think this is caused by the new bios changes.

June 29th, 2020 22:00

Well, add my name to the list. I am a tech idiot and I have no idea what happened. I had Dell ship parts, and a tech came to fix a bunch of things today -- they replaced the keyboard, the monitor, the trackpad, and the motherboard. Guy came and fixed it, and ran a series of tests. All passed.

What I didn't know until he left, until tonight is now a new problem!!! My laptop is plugged in. The battery meter shows 99%. It's been plugged in for hours and hours, all day! It will not get to 100%! My LED light is white for a second, and then amber blinking. I unplug the computer and IT SHUTS OFF!!! NO BATTERY POWER! I can't start it up until I plug it in again! It was not doing this yesterday! I checked all the settings, to the best of my limited ability. I did the F12 tests and all passed. 

What do I do now? I can't take apart the machine. I have no idea what I am doing. I don't understand shortcuts, tricks, settings, etc. Do I call Dell tomorrow and complain? How do I ask them to send another tech to...what? Check the laptop? The settings? To see if the battery is even hooked up properly? 

Thank you in advance.

June 29th, 2020 22:00

By the way -- I have no idea about recent back ups, bios, etc.

Why wouldn't my Pro Support warranty cover this? They already replaced the battery once -- during a repaid they found a "bulging" battery and said it had to be fixed. Yesterday batter was fine. Today doesn't work. This is BS.

Any ideas? Thanks again.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 29th, 2020 23:00

We have shared the steps on private message.

Were you able to perform it?

June 30th, 2020 03:00

Thank you for the private message...I replied in detail...and my reply is below...

First, there appears to be no "standard" setting under any of my power management settings. The settings do appear to be exactly what they were before. 

Second, when you say "on the BIOS screen" -- do you mean during start-up? Or is there another BIOS screen? How do I get to the BIOS screen? Thank you.

Third, when I right-click on the battery icon in my lower right system tray -- which is the only place I have a battery icon -- the only two options I have are "Power Options" or "Windows Mobility Center" and neither one of those offers anything like "Dell Extended Battery life Options". 

I've read and I was told that the Dell Extended Battery Life Options feature is not available in Windows 10.

Thanks again -- I greatly appreciate it.

No Events found!