Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

J

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 11th, 2020 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9560- GPU Not Recognized ( Nividia GTX 1050)

Hi there gents. I've come here for some help as I am at a loss on what to do next. I use this laptop for video editing with davinci resolve. I encountered an issue that would not allow me to open my editing software. The error was Could not find any OpenCL, which apparently meant that it could not find any capable GPU available.

I feared that perhaps my 1050 gpu was updated to without me knowing to a version that is not compatible and it appears that it was indeed updated. However I encountered a similar issue before and was able to install an old version of the driver from Oct 2019(Version 436.48). This was not a fix this time.

At this point I decided I would delete GeForce and try a new install. I deleted the app and the "obvious to me" drivers at the time. Then I tried going to the nvidia website to update my drivers to see if that would fix the problem. I downloaded and tried a few applications, 436.48, 436.30,446.14. and 442. Each one lead to an error. Either "Not compatible with this version of windows, or graphics driver could not find compatible hardware."

The GPU is not listed under display adapters in device manager, nor is it available in hidden devices. I downloaded DDU and gave it a shot to remove all files and apps to clean and restart. It did find a few trace NVidia files and removed them. I had hoped this was perhaps what was preventing a new installation. However after running DDU, the same problems persist. The GPU is a no show in device manager still, and any new applications/drivers of Nvidia (436.48, 436.30,446.14. and 442) fail due to the same errors.

I checked my windows update app and a new bios was available. I updated it yesterday morning and still no changes in GPU being recognized. What else can I try at this point? Is my graphics card simply dead? All help appreciated. I'm not super tech savy so if you can idiot proof your responses I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

June 11th, 2020 11:00

Do the Dell diagnostics (F12 at powerup) reveal any GPU-related errors?

1 Message

June 11th, 2020 12:00

Reinstall the Nvidia GTX 1050 drivers. This issue occurs due to some drivers compatibility. Hope it will fix the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 11th, 2020 13:00

Just tried the diagnostics. It says All Tests Passed Validation:110569

It did say hardware scan resolved memory issue at the bottom though.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 11th, 2020 13:00

Not sure how Logitcech software will help? I did mention I tried to reinstall the nvidia drivers and geforce experience multiple times.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 12th, 2020 10:00

What else could I try?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

June 12th, 2020 11:00

Next step would be a clean install of Windows -- if that doesn't recognize the GeForce chip, it's likely the chip has failed (which means a mainboard replacement, since the chip is not separately replaceable).

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

June 14th, 2020 21:00

Thanks I suppose that'll be the best thing to try. What's the simplest to reinstall windows? Do I need to install an older version? And do I need to download a copy to a usb for that or can I download it as a file and re-install?

1 Message

August 16th, 2020 11:00

Have the exact same issue here!!

Did you find the solution ?

August 25th, 2020 08:00

I am having this exact problem. 

As I understand it, this Dell XPS 15 9560 (2017) model SHOULD have the Geforce 1050 GPU (or dGPU, technically).

There is NO RECORD of that anywhere in the system. nVidia drivers refuse to install:

nVidiaNotHere.png

No software (diagnostics etc) are able to detect it. Yet I'm SURE the Geforce worked fine a couple of months ago. So now I wonder if my recollection is wrong?

I reinstalled Windows 10 with no improvement.

I want to work out if this problem is:

1. A purely software issue: Windows, drivers.
  2. A fixable hardware issue. Dell would need to replace the motherboard, which may not be economical.
  3. A non-fixable hardware issue e.g. this model never had a Geforce dGPU, and that's that.

Any tips or collaboration on fixing this are much appreciated.

Best wishes,

October 9th, 2020 13:00

I went through this with Dell Support, and they were unable to help, other than to offer to send someone to replace the motherboard for £300 or so.

I decided that, in my case, the laptop was simply missold to me The Geforce 1050 is OPTIONAL, and there is no sign that this laptop EVER HAD IT, except for the incorrect inclusion on the eBay listing page.

screenshot-www.dell.com-2020.10.03-23_36_09.png

I wish Dell Support had alerted me to this fact, or been able to confirm that this laptop, based on its Service Code, was sold in a configuration without the GPU.

Mystery solved for me. I hope you find your own resolution.

1 Message

October 9th, 2020 13:00

Same problem here. Diagnostics did not show any problems..

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

November 18th, 2020 15:00

While Im sad to hear that others have this exact issue, I am relieved to know I'm not alone on this problem. I never found a solution. No driver, software delete/reinstall did anything. Geforce does not recognize nvidia hardware when I try to install now.

I ended up building a work station PC with a 2060 graphics card and a ryzen 3700x. I figured the amount money it would take to fix the XPS 15, is probably not as economical as would building a more powerful machine myself. I do hope Dell investigates this and finds a solution. My guess however is that the graphics card died. Given the age and throttling problems these laptops have. Its not unlikely that some are dying around the same time.  I still use the laptop for mobile use but Its been a pretty disappointing product all things considering.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2021 14:00

YES.

The first problem I ever had with XPS 9560 was the Killer WIFI card which fuc*ed up the internet connection and therefore I replaced it for the Intel chip.

I have had the same charging issues over the time. I replaced the battery and I replaced the DC charger jack multiple times it got burnt and the left side of the laptop gets very hot when the laptop is under stress and charging.

Now the Nvidia card wont work at all, its dead. I suspect that it has something to do with the overheating.

I also cant install Intel display driver for some reason. It works now with windows default video driver.

So, then next laptop I choose is not DELL anymore.

Listen for the people here, Dell. 

2 Posts

July 10th, 2021 15:00

Wow, I've had almost the same issues you've written here, bought the laptop in 2018.

I have replaced battery and charger on the XPS.

Updated my bios at some point and had so much issues i had to downgrade back. 

Undervolted due to the thermal limits, then around mid april while playing a game i noticed it was slow and GF fps counter was off, tried to switch it on and voila nothing worked, nvidia control panel was gone and it wasn't in task manager so i DDU the current driver and installed it back, it installed successfully but still control panel however it did show up in device manager, so I tried updatiing the driver and i got BSOD(nvlddmkm.sys error). I'v tried about 5 drivers at this point all BSOD, but if i try installing the last one that worked it installs fine but doesn't work. hwinfo flags it as fake gtx 1050

No Events found!