Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 27th, 2018 04:00

XPS 15 9560, random shutdown

Hello,

Recently I bought Dell XPS 15 (9560) and where was not even one day, that I would not experience random shutdown of my laptop.

I have run integrated hardware scans and non of them found any problems.

I have also updated to latest version of drivers, but random shutdowns still appear.

For example if I launch Dota my computer shutdowns immediately..

Any suggestions what to do next, how to solve this problem?

respectfully,

new dell user 

January 28th, 2018 14:00

Hello, I do also experience these random shutdowns and in my opinion it might be due to the recent Intel chipsets updates for Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities. Intel **bleep** up the patches and so it's not recommended to upgrade it so I'm looking for a way to downgrade it.

And for the green pixel, your screen probably has a dead pixel, I had just the same. It occurs under strange conditions though. I had to have more than 60% of pixels above this errorous pixel to be white for the error to occur. Here's video of it, if you're interested. https://youtu.be/LbaZX3ikgz0 Ask for a fix or more for a refund as I keep getting more and more problems with this laptop... I'm looking for a alternative and as soon as I find one I'll get a refund because I for example have another issue with the nVidia GPU. When I play games or use some applications which do utilize it to the max, noise appears in my microphone input and it's reaaaaly annoying plus there's obvious coil whine from the GPU.

This laptop is really not worth the huge amount of money Dell asks for it. Sadly.

14 Posts

January 28th, 2018 22:00

My thoughts same as yours, this laptop is overpriced, but it looks as business class laptop and have specs like it. However it just does not perform as it..

Regarding green pixel, in my case it just appears and disappears watching video. Playing games or changing background image will not bring this issue.

I am very interested will someone from Dell will say something? Or I just need to bring my new laptop to service and ask for refund?

January 29th, 2018 01:00

I also saw it only under very **bleep** conditions but it was there and it's an error so if I were you I wouldn't wait for anything...

And for the random shutdowns, I just read here (Czech webpage, maybe use a translator :)) https://www.root.cz/zpravicky/microsoft-zatim-vypnul-na-vsech-windows-opravu-spectre-v2-dokud-se-nevyresi-problemy-s-intel-microcode/ that Microsoft released an update which turns off those Spectre fixes cause it's really broken. The linked webpage in the article also gives you a way to disable it by hand in regedit.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 14:00

I have the same issue after the update.

Please fix this, Dell.

Thanks.

14 Posts

February 4th, 2018 12:00

I gave my XPS to service for a week.. they rewritten windows, tested and didn't find anything.

Returned to me for weekend to double check. So I started looking into my problems:

• green pixels
  • random shutdowns

at first everything was working and I was happy. But after playing with XPS for a day I tried to update drivers and my problems reappeared. I looked into the drivers I have installed and started to downgrade them. With try error method I have found that:

• random shutdowns are caused by - Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework D4G6R WIN 8.3.10207
  • green pixels appear after - Intel HD Graphics M1G66 WIN 22.20

so at the moment it looks like that my XPS is working.. However temperatures of CPU & GPU is still high, I will ask service if it is possible to change thermal paste..

at the moment thats all I have. It would be nice to hear something from Dell...

respectfully

35 Posts

February 13th, 2018 03:00

That may explain the random shutdowns I've been having. Same file, different laptop (Latitude 7389).  Just purchased and loaded with Windows Pro 10 64. I was thinking I'd have to return it for checking. I might wait a bit longer hoping someone at Dell or Microsoft or Intel is working on fixing this.

I did roll back the bios and it's not happening quite as often. Some days not at all, most days once or twice.

There is no relationship to anything that I can see. It can happen when the computer is cool, even idle. Or, when I'm in the middle of drafting a document or watching a movie. (I've now reduced the time for autosaves.)

PS Weirdly I was asked to remove the UK/Australian word for "movie". Who knew it was offensive :(

22 Posts

February 17th, 2018 06:00

want to confirm that the downgrade isn't for the bios. It's for the Thermal Driver.

I didn't get the shutdown since the downgrade (like 3 weeks has passed at least.) and I'm the creator of the above mentioned topic. 

Do it on your own risk. This is a work around that was suggested by one of the XPS owners and wasn't provided by Dell. (Dell still push the update to the latest Thermal driver like they don't know how problematic this driver is, and they don't mind if more people, who haven't yet upgraded, get into this problem.)

1 Message

February 17th, 2018 23:00

It happens to me as well. Have you found any fix yet? When I started the Dota, my laptop randomly shutdown. It just happened recently.

2 Posts

February 18th, 2018 04:00

Just install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework from here.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=JTXD1

1 Message

February 24th, 2018 06:00

I have both those problems with my xps15 9560 too, installing an older version of Intel thermal framework. (From before nov 2017) seems to have solved shutting down, but I couldnt find any solution with do youtube problem, can you notify me if you find a solution to that?

14 Posts

February 24th, 2018 12:00

downgrade:

Intel HD Graphics M1G66 WIN 22.20

1 Message

March 18th, 2018 06:00

Hi, how do you solved that? My xps always turn off while playing games

7 Posts

April 14th, 2018 00:00

After your system powers down, check your event viewer, windows logs, application. Sort by Source. See if there is a DPTF error entry like this:

Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework : ESIF(8.3.10207.5567) TYPE: INFO MODULE: ACTION FUNC: ActionSystemSet FILE: esif_uf_action_system.c LINE: 138 TIME: 599754 msSYSTEM_SHUTDOWN command received - temperature = 3732, trip point = 3732

As a workaround, here is what worked for me. I changed the Maximum Processor State from 100% to 98%, in the advanced settings in the power options. After that my XPS15 did not shut down under stress.

Dell replaced both fans and heat distribution box with heat sinks as a final solution. No more problems with max processor state 100%.

Hope the above helps someone.

6 Posts

April 14th, 2018 04:00

Can you please keep an eye on memory usage by visiting the task manager. Observe same for few times, you will come to know the exact reason for the same.

May be certified information storage and maintenance (E05-001) agent required to assist you query

2 Posts

April 30th, 2018 03:00

Hi Marian,

So did you have to send your laptop back to Dell for them "to replace both fans and heat distribution box with heat sinks"? How long did this process take?

Has anyone from DELL confirmed that this is a driver update issue which will either be fixed soon or that we shall revert back to a previous driver version as suggested here?

My 2 months old XPS15 (9560) automatically shut down yesterday 4 times while I was working a video on Premiere Pro. Not the best time for a straight on shut down without warning and loosing video progress every time.

Thank you

Gavriil

No Events found!