Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

November 6th, 2022 01:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 fails installing nvidia drivers for gtx 1050 after clean install (BSOD)

XPS 15 9560

XPS 15 9560

Hey all!

Some months ago, I decided to reinstall windows on my Dell XPS 15 9560 via the media creation tool - after that, I let Dell automatically install all necessary drivers for my system via this link:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-at/product-support/product/xps-15-9560-laptop/drivers

Doing so resulted in a continuous BSOD a few seconds after booting the system - so I used the windows repair tool to roll back to a more stable state before installing the drivers. 

Thus, I figured that the Nvidia 1050 wasn't recognized by my system. I started updating the drivers manually from the Nvidia website. No success, still BSOD while installing the drivers

After intense research, I found some possible solutions online:

- Installing drivers in safe mode

- Installing previous driver, bios and windows (like 23.21.13.8816, A13 and Windows 10 1803)

- Using Dell's USB-Recovery-Tool (which installs newest Windows 10 and all drivers automatically)

Nothing worked!

The only way to use my laptop is with a disabled GTX 1050 - which is no option for me

I'm sure that my graphics card isn't defect, because after using dell's USB tool, the 1050 worked for some minutes before the system got instable and caused BSOD.

Maybe I need to manually install all drivers in a specific order, with a specific bios and Windows version?? Any ideas?

Also, I would appreciate, if Dell could help me out here ... I already spent well above 40 hrs to find a solution.

Best,

Philip

November 6th, 2022 23:00

Hey @pheinrich ,

This is probably the same BSOD I posted about earlier in the year, and that a lot of people have been experiencing on the XPS 15 9560.

The fix for the rest of us is provided in the NVIDIA v526.47 drivers (direct from NVIDIA website, not Dell supplied drivers).

Here's some links that'll explain the problems we've been have all year.

My Dell forum post accepted solution:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9560-Blue-Screens/m-p/8296921/highlight/true#M104307

Another Dell forum post with the same issue:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-9560-BSOD/m-p/8237356#M100211

A huge Microsoft Community post that someone from NVIDIA eventually noticed and responded to about the fix they did roll out for us very recently:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/continued-bsod-video-dxgkrnl-fatal-error-windows/ba699610-4b42-4c80-9e7f-f3a389c4d35a?page=1

3 Posts

November 8th, 2022 02:00

Hei! Thanks for ur fast response.

I tried ur solution now - that doesnt seem to work either

I even installled win11! In my device manager, the gtx 1050 is properly recognized - but doesnt work anywhere else ... no program can detect or use the gtx 1050 beside the device manager.

My bios version: 1.24.0

My windows version: Win 11 22H2

My GTX1050 driver version: 26.21.14.4270

My Intel HD Graphics driver version: 27.20.100.9664

Also, there are many undetected devices - but i dont think it has smth to do with my GPU

pheinrich_0-1667903499506.png

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 8th, 2022 07:00

You should install the driver for Intel HD Graphics 630 before you install the Nvidia driver. 

You could pause Windows updates (or disable network connections), uninstall both Nvidia and Intel HD Graphics drivers, reboot and then install Intel HD Graphics 630 driver followed by Nvidia driver.

457 Posts

November 8th, 2022 07:00

5 Posts

November 8th, 2022 15:00

Sometimes you have to use the DDU,(display Driver Uninstall) program to really uninstall all of the driver.

I'm using intel driver 27.20.100.9664 (A07) and Nvidia GE Force driver 31.0.15.1740 with no problems.

It's been awhile but it seems like I had to boot in safe mode, run DDU on Nvidia and Intel then reboot.

The Intel driver has to be installed first and then the Nvidia driver.  It's always a struggle to update them.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2022 16:00

You have to download the DDU driver, just Google DDU, but be careful there are alot of fake download sites.

Here's an example I found to uninstall the Intel Driver.  The Nvidia driver uninstalls the same way.

Summary

Steps to uninstall an Intel Graphics Driver using Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).

Description

Unable to determine how to uninstall iGPU driver via Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) software.

Resolution
  1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) software and extract the file.
  2. Open DDU ****.exe and run extract program.
  3. Reboot into Windows* safe mode. (Refer to Start your PC in safe mode in Windows.)
  4. Go to the DDU extract path and double click the Display Driver Uninstaller.exe to open DDU.
  5. Click Close in the Options window.
  6. Select device type to GPU and select device to INTEL.
  7. Cilck Clean and restart, wait the software to finish the process and auto reboot Windows to the normal mode.

3 Posts

January 15th, 2023 23:00

That did not work at all

I installed the newest version of the driver via Nvidia Website (528.02). It actually does install, but the GPU shows a warning sign and doesnt work. I attached some pictures below

Here's the analysis of the BSOD when installing the Suggested Dell Driver (from 2021)

Screenshot (5).png

Any other ideas?

I alr removed any dust from the inside. Is it likely that there's some kind of hardware problem with my GPU (which would be strange, as the BSOD occours since the clean Windows 10 installation)

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Best, Philip

7 Posts

February 18th, 2023 15:00

Hi Philip,

I started to experience the same issue with my XPS 15 7590 after it updated to Windows 11. Everything is exactly as you explained above and none of the provided solutions worked so far. Have you found out how to fix it?

1 Message

March 7th, 2023 18:00

I also have the problem that my NVIDIA GTX 1050 is not displayed in the NVIDIA system control in the BIOS of my Dell XPS 15-9560.
However, the Nvidia GTX 1050 is displayed. A GPU activity is also not displayed in the task manager. After I was sorry to invest even more time in the problem, I decided to deactivate the Intel HD Grahhics 630 in the task manager to see what my computer does.
The screen became black in the meantime, but came back shortly afterwards. And now an activity of the NVIDIA GTX 1050 was also displayed in the Task Manager with 4 percent and also in the TechPowerup GPU-Z Gafkkarten Tool where no activity was previously displayed. My video editor Sony Vegas Pro now worked much better and the occupancy CPU was now much lower and that of the Nvidia GTX 1050 was 16 %. The temperature between 50 and 65 degrees.

I leave the settings so because I don't care what Dell does for inexplicable reasons (thermal) so as not to overload the Nvidia GTX 1050. This is not user -friendly. To put a card in the system behind the Intel HD Grahhics 630 and not to be noted in BIOS either. Now I can finally work in my video editor Sony Vegas Pro without losses with Full HD projects.

Ich denke, dass Dell ein Problem mit der Wärmeabgabe der NVIDIA GTX 1050 ist, die sehr nah an der CPU liegt und somit die CPU aufgrund der Wärme der Grafikkarte nicht in Ihr Knie geht mit einer hohen Belastung, man hat das Problem einfach auf Kosten und Nutzung der NVIDIA GTX 1050 gelegt.

Ich hoffe, Sie haben auch etwas mehr Glück, Ihren PC zu benutzen.

Ich habe auch das Problem das meine Nvidia GTX 1050 in der Nvidia Systemsteuerung ind im Bios meines Dell XPS 15- 9560 nicht angezeigt wird.
Imgerätemanager wird die Nvidia GTX 1050 jedoch angezeigt. Eine GPU aktivität wird im Taskmanager auch nicht angezeigt. Nachdem ich es Leid war noch mehr zeit in das Problem zu investieren habe ich mich entschlossen einfach die Intel HD Grahhics 630 im Task Manager zu deaktivieren um zu schauen was mein rechner macht.
Der Bildschirm wurde pötzlich schwarz, kam aber kurz danach wieder. Und nun wurde auch eine Aktivität der Nvidia GTX 1050 im Taskmanager mit 4 Prozent angezeigt und auch im TechPowerUp GPU-Z Gafkkarten Tool wo vorher keine Aktivität angezeigt wurde. Auch mein Videoeditor Sony Vegas Pro funktionierte nun viel besser und die Auslastung CPU war nun viel geringer und die der Nvidia GTX 1050 lag bei 16 % . Die Temperatur zwischen 50 und 65 Grad.

Ich lasse die Einstellungen so weil es mir egal ist was Dell da aus unerklärlichen Gründen (thermischen) tut um die Nvidia GTX 1050 nicht zu überlasten. Anwenderfreundlich ist das nicht. Eine Karte im System hinter die Intel HD Grahhics 630 zu setzen und auch im Bios nicht zu vermerken. Nun kann ich endlich in meinem Videoeditor Sony Vegas Pro ohne Einbußen mit Full HD Projekten arbeiten.

Ich glaube das Dell ein Problem mit der Wärmeableitung der Nvidia GTX 1050, welche sehr nahe an der CPU liegt hat und damit die CPU durch die Wärme der Grafikkarte bei hoher Auslastung nicht in die Knie geht hat man das Problem einfach zu Lasten und Nutzung der Nvidia GTX 1050 gelegt.

Ich hoffe ihr habt auch etwas mehr Glück bei der Nutzung eures PC. 

No Events found!