Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

2 Posts

September 10th, 2020 10:00

Dell XPS 15 C - NOT POWERING ON, white flashing light

Hello,

I have my 3 year old Dell XPS 15 and all of a sudden it has decided not to power on.

If I press the power button it sometimes powers on for 2-3 seconds, I hear the fans boot up and the keyboard lights come on, and then it just cuts out. Sometimes it doesn’t even do that and just has a white flashing light with no power whatsoever.

I have tried doing some reading online and trouble shooting myself. Here is what I have done so far;

- replaced the charger

- removed the battery, held in the power button for 30 seconds and then reconnected

- tried powering the laptop without the battery connected and it does the same as described above

- taken out both RAM and put back in

- taken out WiFi card and put back in

- taken out SDD and put back in

- visual inspection of fans and there is no visible dust/debris on the fans

Has anybody had this problem already and managed to resolve it? Really eager to get my laptop working again as it has important work files and I use it on a daily basis for my job.

I take really good care of my laptop and I haven’t had a problem like before; it usually works flawlessly. No damage such as dropping it that I can recall either.

Thank you,

Ash

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

See if the system will POST with the battery disconnected.  If it will, the battery is  bad and will need to be replaced.

If it won't, the mainboard is almost certainly faulty -and likewise will need to be replaced.

If you need a part reference for the board, we'll need to know exactly what system you have (9350, 9550, 9650 etc) and the CPU and GPU you have.

2 Posts

Thanks for your response.

sorry not too savvy with computer language, does POST mean if it starts without the battery connected?

if so, I just edited and added to my original post that I have tried powering on the laptop without the battery connected but with the power lead in and it still does the same thing (boots for like 2-3 seconds, fans come on and then it goes dead!)

Without being able to power on the laptop, how can I check exactly what part I need? I’d usually go to “system information for that”.

if the board needs replacing, roughly, how much do you think it would cost, for the part and for it to be fitted?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Yes, if the system will power up and run without a battery, but not with it, the battery is bad.

Without knowing what system model this is, and what CPU and GPU you have, the cost will range between $300 for a i3 with integrated video and $700 for an i7 with discrete video for a replacement board; add whatever a local shop charges for an hour's labor if you have the repair done with a shop -- should be less than $100 in labor in most places outside of large cities like NYC/LA, where it may be more than that.

No Events found!