Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

4 Posts

December 25th, 2018 15:00

Dell XPS 15 issues

Hello,

I've had XPS 15 9570 now for about a month using Windows 10 Pro and all in all it's a great laptop regarding performance of battery life and operating speed, but there are some issues I just can't find working solutions for and are actually quite common if you read the forums.

- key skipping: the keys are randomly skipped during fast typing, even when spotting the missed key, pressing it only 4 times repeatedly will actually register it. Solutions Intel graphics setting inaccessible (explained later on)

- sleep / lock / power LED issue: choosing sleep option doesn't work correctly; for instance when choosing sleep from Windows menu or closing the lid it is not clear, whether the system goes to sleep or not, because the laptop is so quiet there is no way of telling if it actually went to sleep and when waking up, Windows does not require a password. But the setting for going to sleep after 10 mins of inactivity actually locks the Windows and shuts down the screen, so Windows locking does work, but putting the device to sleep apparently doesn't - there is no LED indication in what state the system is.

- Graphics driver / control panel: there are no graphics driver available at official Dell website. Windows does provide automatic driver update, but with the one installed, there is no Intel graphics Control panel in which you could set Panel refresh off in order to fix key skipping issue, and at the same time could fix some resolution problems with apps. Possibly this driver also prevents system going to sleep correctly?

- disappearing desktop wallpaper when connected to external LED display

If someone has any ideas for other possible solutions for these problems, they would be most welcome.

27 Posts

December 25th, 2018 16:00

Hi,

about Graphic Control Panel:

- For 1050TI you can install the GeForce Experience from geforce website and it will update the driver with working Control Panel. From GeForce Experience app you can select to update drivers and during installation choose custom and select clean installation. 

-For Intel 630: Download from Dell the 630 drivers but do not install instead unzip it in a folder. After from device manager right click on 630 and select uninstall with delete option. Reboot and switch off WiFi. Again from device manager choose for Microsoft standard adapter “update drivers” and select it from the unzipped folder. 

Now you have working Graphic panels. 

4 Posts

December 26th, 2018 23:00

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I did exactly like you wrote, I installed Nvidia Experience which only updated Nvidia driver and added control panel for Nvidia. Also downloaded driver for Intel UHD 630 from Dell and Intel website and installed manually, this adds no graphics control panel for integrated graphics. If I install this panel from Microsoft store and run it, I get error: "Intel graphics is not available. Check the driver status and then launch the application"

27 Posts

December 27th, 2018 00:00

Hi, For Intel 630 I wrote to use Dell version. Do not use Intel website version. You can repeat My procedure from Device manager.

4 Posts

December 27th, 2018 08:00

I did try Dell version first (https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=myy4x), but there was no difference, still no graphics control panel. Why would Intel's driver not be ok by the way? It is specified as compatible driver for i7 8750H and UHD 630. Could it also be possible, that Dell's interpretation of sleep is actually a low power state that doesn't power off the machine and doesn't lock Windows?

4 Posts

December 27th, 2018 13:00

Ok, so I just learned that the sleep mode problem is not connected to graphics driver - apparently Dell decided to remove normal sleep function from the latest models (which is unbelievable...), but still graphics control panel is a different issue  and key skipping persists

October 16th, 2019 11:00

Same here, Oled 7590 model, i have totally no gamut controls for the Nvidia 1650GTX GPU, Dell says to use the !! INTEL UHD Driver for the Nvidia GPU?  But this is not working. I see in many applications fi Adobe Photoshop, that de openingscreen with the recent open projects has a washed out color, and i need to set the Color Settings in Photoshop, to Monitor A029 to get the same colors that the Intel driver provides. 

Why Dell? Why put a GTX1650 in a XPS 15 Oled, not being able to change the colorsettings of the Nvidia GPU!!! 

Called Dell Support, took several phone calls to even get them to hear me, 10 emails, and when it escalated to tier 3 support, the first email i got back from tier3 was, you can get a refund!! 

I needed to clarify what i wanted to do, money back or swap for an other model, but i want to know the answer.

Is it due to the Oled screen that Nvidia is not able to control the colors? YES or NO! 

No Events found!