Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

21 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 10:00

Dell XPS 7390 not charging past 54%

Hello,

I have Dell XPS 7390 2 in 1 but the battery will stop charging at 54%. I've search and looks like its a common issue for other dell laptop. I saw a solution publish by dell, its by setting the ownership date on the bios. I tried this but unfortunately the bios for 7390 wont allow me change/set ownership date. If somebody know how to resolve this issue please help.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2020 11:00

That a fairly new computer that might still be under 1 yr warranty. If so contact Support. The battery is only warrantied for one year even if you have an extended warranty.

One thing to do is check your battery settings. There are plans the limit the charge. See if anything here helps--  Battery FAQ's

Don't mess with bios settings. 

21 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 21:00

@waqar747  I bought this second hand.... it was sold cheaper as the previous owner was not able to find solution to this.

26 Posts

Same situation here. My take on this is, the previous owner got it for cheap and considering that these are less than a year old units and still have no warranties, I think these are engineering samples / display / demo units which have these restrictions from day one. In that case, I don't expect an easy fix. All the people who reported this problem have not reported a solution, so I'm not holding my breath.

Since it is a beautiful machine otherwise, I'm not selling it off for cheap and will use it with the limited battery for now. It might even prolong the battery life

21 Posts

@Mary G  Already check the battery settings but same.

26 Posts

A strange problem that doesn't seem to have a workaround up till now. I've been facing this on my even newer 9300 which I bought used. 

You are right, the BIOS setting was one solution offered in an official guide, but it is for older BIOSs. The new one does not allow the date change. I wonder why Dell has not made this simple solution available for these newer models.

Clearly it is a software / BIOS related limitation / restriction. When I first went into the BIOS, I noticed the manual setting was set to 55% max, which gave me a hint where it came from, but changing it to anything else does not seem to make a difference. 

They ask me to contact regional tech support since we do not have a local tech center, but I hardly think that it will help me since I know I bought a used machine with unknown warranty status. Will try for paid support in the coming week in any case, but if the solution is to send the laptop to a regional tech service center, then I'm out of luck.

So now I'm using the laptop with limited battery capacity. It is lasting me 2-3 hours on the 55% of battery that it charges to, and would probably give another 2 hours if it charged to 100%. 

Can you tell me whether you bought your laptop new, or used. And whether the problem just popped up one day or was it there from the very beginning. If used, did you get a retail box with it. I have a doubt this limitation was hardcoded in display or demo machines. 

21 Posts

October 23rd, 2020 22:00

@waqar747 Hopefully Dell will come up with the solution for this... obviously this issue is not new with their laptops... and to think they already have solution for the older bios version it should be pretty easy for them to come up with workaround with the new bios version.

• 

25.1K Posts

October 24th, 2020 03:00

Due to the current situation, we’re facing an overwhelming spike in the volume of customers reaching out to us. We’re doing our best to address your concern as fast as we can.

We are waiting for you to reply via private message so that we can have a secured and effective conversation.

21 Posts

October 24th, 2020 05:00

Hello, I already replied to the private massage that was sent to me...that private message answer was only to contact the distributor...nothing technical to solve the issue... I found one possible solution from dell as well on the link below. The only problem is i cannot do it on the new Dell Bios...can you please help me to address this issue as the laptop a new model.... https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln308571/laptop-battery-does-not-charge-beyond-55-on-certain-dell-pcs?lang=en

21 Posts

October 31st, 2020 01:00

any update how to resolve this issue?

26 Posts

October 31st, 2020 05:00

I think the only solution lies with Dell's tech support. I have also contacted my regional center for the resolution and they say they are working on it. Please get in touch with your Dell regional office.

Unfortunately there is no software fix for this, as far as I've been able to find out.

26 Posts

November 22nd, 2020 01:00

Has anyone tried changing the battery in this situation? I haven't because I don't have access to a brand new Dell battery, but I think it would be interesting to know if it will reset the charging limit.

1 Message

December 20th, 2020 13:00

Hi

i have the same problem in xps 13 7930!!

any solution?!?

21 Posts

January 10th, 2021 08:00

no solution yet from DELL......

March 21st, 2021 12:00

I'm facing the same issue with my XPS 13 9300, any solution?

4 Posts

June 24th, 2021 22:00

Don't forget to tick ownership date

No Events found!