Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2018 21:00

Dell XPS L702X won't turn on

I was using my lappy as usual and suddenly i hear a single tick like sound.... Sounded like a tiny spark, after that my laptop just went dead, ive tried powering it up but nothing happened and when i reconnect the adapter to the laptop the green light on the adapter goes off ! I've tried removing the battery but no luck so far !

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 28th, 2018 10:00

From what you've described, the power circuit was fried by a shock.  It's entirely possible something else may also have been damaged (the memory, the CPU, etc.) -- but you won't know until you replace the mainboard and try to get the system running.

That unknown, plus the cost of repairing a system that's still on the order of seven years old, despite it being new to you -- may argue for buying something newer.  You could wind up putting a few hundred dollars into a system that's not worth that much (or not much more than that).  

As with an older car, you have to draw the line somewhere - and computers age much faster than do cars.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 27th, 2018 04:00

There is a short somewhere.   If the LED on the AC adapter is ON before you plug in the notebook, it's OK.  If not, replace the adapter.

If the adapter is OK, next replace the DC power jack:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=10298

And if that doesn't solve the problem, the short is on the mainboard - which will need to be replaced (or may not be worth replacing given the age of this system).

6 Posts

January 27th, 2018 22:00

Thanks l'll defenately try that and the spark did come from where we connect the adapter to the laptop ! And the laptop isn't turning on with battery as well

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 28th, 2018 03:00

If the system won't power up with a charged battery, given the other event you mentioned, I can almost guarantee the mainboard is fried.

6 Posts

January 28th, 2018 08:00

Is there any chance that the motherboard is intact and something else is the problem ? And by the way I bought the system in July 2017, for $370 it was used

6 Posts

So what to do now ? And is that something that can easily be fixed ?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

It can be fixed - the board will run between $150-350 depending on type of  GPU -- but the question is, do you wan to sink a couple to a few hundred dollars into a system that's upward of seven years old?  Only you can answer that - if you can replace the board for $150 or so yourself, it may make sense.  If you have the 3D version and the board costs $350 -- or you have to pay for labor -- it tips the balance more definitively toward replacing rather than repairing the system.

6 Posts

January 28th, 2018 17:00

OK man, i'll see what I can do. Thanks for your guidance !

6 Posts

January 29th, 2018 17:00

LoL I just got my motherboard fixed for $20 ! Everything's working perfectly now !

1 Message

December 21st, 2018 08:00

Do you know what was replaced? Mine now has the same issue. Will not power up with charger or battery. When charger is plugged in light goes out on brick. I've pulled the board out and pulled all accessories along with CPU. I then plugged power into bare board and get same result, so there is a component on the board somewhere that has failed. Anyone have any idea which component would be suspect? I know this is an older computer, but I'd have to spend some $ to get a new one that matches the performance of this thing.  

1 Message

January 25th, 2019 08:00

I disassembled mine to clean the fans and added thermal paste to the CPU and GPU and put it back together and now mine won't power on, looking for solutions also.

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 10:00

Same here. New thermal paste. Xps17 not powering up. No chargelight on laptop.

Is this the motherboard?

No Events found!