Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

1 Message

August 18th, 2019 17:00

Dell XPS can’t boot into windows after auto update

My laptop had an auto update installed yesterday and now it cannot get past an error screen for logging Into Windows. It was working fine until I left it on while not using it and the battery died. I plugged it in and now it won’t get past a screen with the following options: ‘continue’, ‘use a device’, ‘troubleshoot’ and ‘turn off pc’. I have tried each option (except use a device) and it all leads me back to this same screen. Shen I try to continue it says ‘thread exception not handled’. Then ‘preparing automatic repair’ ‘diagnosing pc’ and then a restart screen which leads right back to thread exception error. The ‘advanced options’ leads me to the first menu I mentioned. Any ideas on how to get up and running again?

9 Legend

• 

12.3K Posts

August 18th, 2019 19:00

The following information may help. It could either be a driver problem or corrupt Windows files.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod-stopcode-system-thread-exception-not-handled/b14e39f5-c376-40b0-99b7-e43884d5749f?auth=1

• 

17K Posts

August 19th, 2019 08:00

Zinkyk,

Start the computer and tap the F8 key. Choose to enter Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode you can roll back the update. Once in Safe Mode Select the Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.

After you have rolled back the Windows update go here to the Dell Support site and update the bios as well as any other updates.

• 

17K Posts

August 20th, 2019 11:00

Zinkyk,

Start the computer and tap the F8 key. Choose to enter Safe Mode. Once in Safe Mode you can roll back the update. Once in Safe Mode Select the Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Go back to the previous version of Windows 10.

After you have rolled back the Windows update go here to the Dell Support site and update the bios as well as any other updates.

380 Posts

August 21st, 2019 01:00

Jesse,

The F8 key is no longer functional to get into Safe Mode on Windows 10 computers. There are instructions here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode) as to how to get into Safe Mode. If worse comes to worse, you might need to create a bootable Windows 10 installation flash drive using the Media Creation Tool downloaded from Microsoft and use that to get into TroubleShooting from where you can get into Safe Mode.

JohnD

No Events found!