Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

January 31st, 2020 13:00

Dell XPS13 9360 - no pass-through charging with PD enabled USB-C hub

Dell XPS13 9360 doesn't charge when connected to any USB C hub or dongle (pass-through charging with USB C Power Delivery) .
I've tried 2 different chargers: 60W by Aukey and 87W from Apple MacBook Pro, 3 different usb c hubs (Adata, Aukey, Apple) + 3 different USB C cables. The standard Dell charger offers 45W of output, so the power is definitely not an issue.

On the other hand, when connected directly to the USB C port, the charging works like a charm (2 charges*3 cables tested).

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

1 Message

March 18th, 2020 00:00

I have a Cable Matters USB-C hub that successfully charged my  XPS 13 9360 when connected to a Lenovo USB-C PD charger from a Thinkpad.  Your success might depend on the USB-C hub and/or the USB-C charger that you are using. 

I also have a USB-C PD charger that delivers 27W and it can't charge my 9360.  But it has no problem charging my hp work laptop and my Microsoft Surface Go.  

2 Posts

February 11th, 2021 01:00

Thinking about it further, I think the problem is coming from the fact that the DELL Charger is 45W which is ok to power directly the XPS but not enough to power both the usb-c hub and the XPS. I have no means to test with a more powerful charger right now, so looking for a confirmation of this statement.

2 Posts

Related problem on my side, I will follow this topic in case a good answer comes.

Similar issue but with a DELL XPS 9310 2 in 1 and a Vava usb-c 7-ports hub with Power Delivery V3.0 with following specs: 9V/12V/15V/20V, 5A 100W Max.
I would have expected it to work fine.

Though 2 different scenarios:

- When I connect the 45W DELL Charger (power plugged) to the hub after connecting the hub to the XPS: charging does not start

- When I connect first the hub to the 45W charger, power plugged, and then I connect the hub (thus already powered) to the XPS, charging starts but "Slow Charger" detected. Going in the BIOS, the charging power is detected as 35W.

@krystek85 Did you try these 2 scenarios ?

I assume for now this is a compatibility issue despite the specs. Looking for another compatible usb-c hub with PD. DELL models don't have enough features for me (too few USB ports, at least).

• 

25.7K Posts

Hi, I see you’re looking for technical assistance. If you require our help, you could initiate a private/direct message with us, and we’d be glad to assist you.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 11th, 2021 06:00

@renaudc  Yes that can be an issue. See my posts from February 2021 about multi-purpose hub “power skim” over in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Docking-station-for-xps-7390/m-p/7803401

1 Message

April 25th, 2023 08:00

that worked for me!

No Events found!