Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

5 Posts

December 11th, 2020 08:00

XPS 15 9500, thermal paste dried out

Good Day,

I noticed that my XPS CPU temperature jumped to 100°C and the staying there. When benchmarking it with Intel's XTU even with the "cooling" profile enabled (fans are always running). So I opened it and removed the "Heatsink". The thermal paste was dried out and flaky, which for a 2 week old laptop is kinda bad? I replaced the paste and gained about 10% from 2007 to 2270 Points in XTU. Is this normal for Dell Laptops or did I get a bad unit?

DSC_0606.JPGDSC_0607.JPGDSC_0610.JPG

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

• 

16.7K Posts

Detzi,

It will get dry after a while. Seems to me it should not have dried out that fast.  You say it is working better since you added some paste?  I would watch the system close in case something else occurs and let us know. Also, FYI opening the system and removing parts will void your warranty.  

• 

25.1K Posts

December 14th, 2020 03:00

Hi There,

We are following up with regards to the recent report you made with us. Please keep us posted at your Convenience.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 18th, 2020 10:00

Detzi,

Following up to see if the system is still working better since you added the paste?  Let us know.

• 

25.1K Posts

December 21st, 2020 02:00

Hi,

Please allow me sometime to review the case and I'll get back to you.

5 Posts

December 21st, 2020 02:00

Of xourse what would you expect? I'm hitting it with cyberpunk quite a lot so if there'd been another Problem i'd know until now.

48h Cyberpunk48h CyberpunkStill +10% as of today in XTUStill +10% as of today in XTU

But feedback from your side (DELL Support) has been more ore less non existant. Besides telling me i've voided my warranty by fixing the thing there has been no response despite "premium" support and yes i've provided my "express" service thing and Tags right away. Neither here nor in PMs have i heard something about how you could have possibly shipped a "new" 2k€ Machine with dried up thermal paste.

• 

25.1K Posts

December 21st, 2020 03:00

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Basically the system temperature can reach up to 100% based on teh usage so not to worry until there is overheating issue or system getting shut down. 

In case you are facing any issue. Please DM us, we will be happy to assist you. 

5 Posts

December 21st, 2020 12:00

The issue i am facing is that Dell send me a device that had dried up thermal paste inside and therefore performed 10% under expectations.

I would not care if i got a cheapo from the local bestbuy, but a 2000€ top of the line device...really?

No Events found!