Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2020 12:00

Dell dockingstation – WD19 130W and XPS 7590

Hello! 

I have a XPS 7590 and got myself a WD19 130W docking station. The docking station works fine and my laptop also charges trough the docking station but when i restart the computer - i get a warning saying that i am using a lower wattage power adapter. Later I figured out that the WD19 130W is not compatible with my computer. However it seems to work fine. 

Is there any problem if i continue to charge trough the dock? Or should i connect the separate charger?

Thank you!

Regards,

Paul 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 16th, 2020 15:00

@Klokkie  Here is one additional thought.  If you're buying something from Dell anyway, you might want to consider adding this adapter to your order.  It will allow you to take the 130W power adapter you're currently using with your WD19 and connect it directly to your XPS 15, since it is a "large barrel to small barrel" power adapter dongle.  You can see a picture of it on this page from the Dell US site.  Note that the part number (57J49) is identical on both pages.  That way you would be able to use the 130W adapter you will be replacing as a spare power adapter for your XPS 15.

4 Posts

June 17th, 2020 04:00

Thank you so much. You know a lot about all this I will proceed to buy the 'cheaper' adapter and see if this solves my problem. many thanks! 

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

4 Posts

June 16th, 2020 13:00

Thank you so much for your extensive answer. I am not able to return it so getting another adapter could be a good solution. I checked the Dell website and I can find 2 types of 180w chargers:

1. Dell Euro 180watt 3-pins
Article ID:  450-18644
https://www.dell.com/nl-nl/shop/accessories/apd/450-18644 

2. Dell E5 180watt
Article ID: 450-AIYY
https://www.dell.com/nl-nl/shop/accessories/apd/450-aiyy 

The second one is much cheaper and I am not sure why. Does the second - cheaper one - also work? 

Thank you so much! 

Regards,

Paul 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 16th, 2020 13:00

@Klokkie  The XPS 15 is designed for a 130W power source, but the WD19 130W can only pass 90W through to the attached system.  The XPS 15 can operate from an undersized power source, but in that situation it will take steps to reduce its power consumption in order to fit within that reduced power budget.  Those steps can include slower battery charging and reduced CPU and GPU performance.  If you can still return the dock, the ideal fix would be to return the WD19 130W and instead get a WD19 180W instead, which can pass 130W through to the attached system.  If that's not an option, then you could buy a Dell 180W AC adapter separately and just plug that into the WD19, in which case it will start passing through 130W to your system.  (The WD19 130W and WD19 180W are identical except for the wattage of the power adapter they come with.)  The last resort would be to plug the system's own power adapter in as well.  This will work since in that case the XPS 15 will use that instead of drawing power from the dock, but at that point you've got to connect two cables to your system, and it means your power adapter is tied up there, whereas if you had a dock that supplied adequate power, you would free up your system's own power adapter to be used somewhere else.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 16th, 2020 14:00

@Klokkie  Happy to help.  I don't speak Dutch, and I can't find the 450-AIYY product on an English language page, but the only difference appears to be that 450-18644 comes with a 2-meter power cord, while 450-AIYY comes with a 1-meter power cord.  I believe the power cord portion refers to the cord that runs from the "brick" to the wall, while the power cord that runs from the brick to the laptop (or dock, in this case) is always the same length.  Obviously a different length power cord should not cause such a significant price difference, but for some reason I've seen strange pricing like this before even on the Dell US site.  With a price difference that large, I would definitely order 450-AIYY first.  If it works as expected, you saved a lot of money.  If not, you can always return it.

To confirm proper operation after you connect the 180W adapter, go into the BIOS Setup of your XPS 15 while it is connected to the dock and check the Battery Information section.  On that page, the system should identify the wattage of the attached power source.  Right now with your WD19 130W it should show as 90W.  But when you connect the 180W adapter, the system should as 130W instead.  Good luck!

No Events found!