Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

June 30th, 2019 15:00

Dell xps 15 2019 oled HDR 10 support

I've seen a lot of evidence to support the idea that dolby vision is supported on the new Xps 15 oled, however I've seen differing opinions on whether or not it supports standard HDR 10, and while I have seen some hands on videos on YouTube suggesting that HDR 10 is supported, I haven't found evidence to say weather or not it's actually true. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 30th, 2019 15:00

If it does in fact support Dolby Vision (which I haven’t checked), then HDR10 support is likely, practically certain. I don’t know of a single display or TV that supports Dolby Vision but not HDR10 because Dolby Vision is a tougher spec to support than HDR10. But honestly even if it’s supported, you’d only really get the benefit of the wide color gamut. A proper presentation of HDR and especially Dolby Vision requires a display that can reach brightness levels far higher than what today’s laptop displays can achieve. Typical laptop displays these days are around 350-500 nits. High-end HDR TVs can do about 1500-2000 nits, so if the display doesn’t support any of the industry HDR standards (as opposed to quasi standards like “Dell HDR”, which has been mentioned on some of Dell’s desktop displays), I wouldn’t feel like you’re missing out on much.

Also note that if you want external HDR display support, you’d really want to wait until systems that support DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C arrive. Right now we’re still stuck at DisplayPort 1.2 because the USB-C output is wired to the Intel GPU even when the system is equipped with an NVIDIA GPU, and Intel GPUs today only support DP 1.2. That will change starting with the Ice Lake generation of U Series CPUs that include the Gen 11 GPU. That should be available in systems like the XPS 13 by the end of the year, but it’s not clear when that Gen 11 graphics chipset will be added to the H Series CPUs that the XPS 15 uses.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 6th, 2019 20:00

@Hivarito wrote:

Are you confident that the USB-c is not wired to the Nvidia?

Do you know if the HDMI port is wired to the Nvidia at all? I wonder because the HDMI port on the 9570 is wired only to the integrated graphics, so VR gaming is impossible (and I really want to use my Oculus with the new XPS, even if it runs only on basic graphics)

@Hivarito   I haven't looked at the new 7590 myself, but I haven't seen or even heard of a single Dell system that has the USB-C output hardwired directly to the dGPU, not even Alienware systems that are of course focused primarily on gaming.  The only semi-exception is the Precision 7000 Series systems, which have a BIOS option that allows you to choose whether the integrated GPU or dGPU controls the built-in display and the display output connectors, including the USB-C outputs, but that's possible because they have a more complex motherboard design to enable that flexibility.

I thought I'd read somewhere that the 9570 actually DID have the HDMI output wired straight to the dGPU, but I was never able to confirm that.  Unfortunately if none of the display outputs are wired directly to the dGPU, then VR simply isn't possible on that system.  There isn't a way to run VR at all through basic graphics, unfortunately.  This issue of VR has come up in a couple of threads recently because there are some Alienware and Inspiron Gaming systems branded as "Oculus Ready" because the HDMI output is wired to the dGPU.  Well that was fine and accurate for the original Rift, but now that Oculus has released the Rift S and switched it from HDMI to DisplayPort, those systems can't use that headset because their USB-C outputs are wired to the integrated GPU.  Sorry!

3 Posts

July 6th, 2019 20:00

Are you confident that the USB-c is not wired to the Nvidia?

Do you know if the HDMI port is wired to the Nvidia at all? I wonder because the HDMI port on the 9570 is wired only to the integrated graphics, so VR gaming is impossible (and I really want to use my Oculus with the new XPS, even if it runs only on basic graphics)

No Events found!