Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

11 Posts

February 18th, 2019 13:00

XPS 15 9550, battery swelling again

I bought a XPS 15 9550 in sept of 2016 and around may of 2017 I noticed that the touchpad was lifted. I called dell and they already knew about the issue, so they told me to send the laptop to them to replace the battery. Once that happened I start digging more about the issue and I noticed that it was a bad batch of battery, specifically

NAME DELL 1P6KD54

MANUFACTURER SMP

CHEMISTRY LiP

DESIGN CAPACITY 83,995 mWh

So, when I checked the battery batch of my replacement laptop, for my surprise it was the same of my old laptop. I called Dell explaining my concern and they promised me that this is not going to happen again, that the battery of my new laptop was OK. Now a year and half later I was doing a simple maintenance to the laptop and for my surprise the battery started swelling again. I called Dell Customer Service yesterday and explained all I mentioned before that someone of Customer Service told me this problem had been solved and I didn't have to worry about it. The person and the supervisor that attended me only remind me that I'm out of warranty and I need to pay now, even the manager even yelled me because doesn't want to hear my history.

And part of my conversation via chat in May of 2017:

HYDAyeshha_261244 
Please be rest assured. We are replacing the battery with a new battery and it should fix the issue related to the system.
 ?11?:?19?:?34? ?AM   

Octavio 
but if this happen again?
 ?11?:?20?:?08? ?AM   

Octavio 
what warranty do I have this is not going to happen if it is a real manufacturer flaw
 ?11?:?21?:?06? ?AM   

_HYDAyeshha_261244 
Please be rest assured, our engineering team is looking into the issue and we will be replacing the correct part to fix the issue. Once you get the system back for the service you may check and if you still have the issue we would do the needful.
 ?11?:?21?:?35? ?AM   

_HYDAyeshha_261244 
We have many issues resolved after the battery replacement. Please be rest assured the system would be working as expected after the service.
 ?11?:?22?:?26? ?AM   

11 Posts

February 18th, 2019 14:00

8 Posts

February 18th, 2019 15:00

yeah Li-ion and poly, should last about 500-1000 cycles and about 3 years to deplete to about 80% but even then li-ion and li-poly should never swell unless they are misused (i.e. left to go under critical voltage and then brought back up) which the protection boards prevent. only if li-poly are contaminated should they swell under a normal use profile. Yeah Dell should not be screaming at people, and two they should do an exchange program at cost for those who wish (cost of battery (actual cost less than 10 bucks) ) and free for those effected by swelling for at least 4 years. Because a li-ion tends to be useable for 5 years (albeit you'll be approaching the 50% battery life by then you can push it longer if you feel like being in the 80's and 90's with 1-3hrs of battery life LOL

Steven

11 Posts

February 19th, 2019 06:00

Hi Steve

Thanks for your answer. Yes, let me know if it possible more details about you mentioned in your answer and it was deleted. I don't understand why this is for Dell a big issue to recognize, as you mentioned the only I'm looking they do is an exchange program for these faulty batteries. I read this article from September 2017:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-offers-to-replace-swelling-XPS-15-9550-batteries-for-free-even-if-out-of-warranty.247546.0.html

Someone knows if this program is still active? According with this post they already ended it:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9550-Battery-Swelling/m-p/7189763#M23603

247 Posts

February 20th, 2019 06:00

Have to wonder sometimes if these warranty repairs are done so they get you past the warranty coverage? I do question why you would even replace a part with the same part affected by the issue? I know on my XPS 13 the one corner of my touchpad is already slightly raised, and the battery get's pretty warm when charging. I have to wonder if their is a fundamental issue?

11 Posts

February 20th, 2019 06:00

I tried to speak with different people of Dell through the chat, phone and facebook and I got the same result. They told me the replacement program finished in Sept of last year, that it doesn't matter that the second battery they replaced swelled this time, that they don't replace batteries of computers out of warranty. Of course I can understand that Dell is going to charge if a computer is out of warranty, but I think this is not a normal situation, obviously there is something wrong with these batteries or laptop, at this point I don't know what is it, but this is the second time that this is happen to me and there is a lot of complains out there reporting the same issue.

The only option they gave me is to buy a new battery where they "assure" me this time that is not going to swell. When I asked for the warranty of the battery are 90 days, so at this point I decided to buy one online on ebay and repair it by myself. Trust me, don't waist your time with them as I did because they are not going to do what you expect is the right thing

8 Posts

February 21st, 2019 23:00

you can google what was removed I saw it on some other forum if I remember correctly.

But really IMHO Dell should support their customers, even after the usual support expires when there is a clear serious defect.

steven

No Events found!