Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

May 27th, 2022 22:00

Download the Dell Operating System Recovery Image

I tried many many times to download the operating system recovery image according to the procedures said in https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-nz/000123667/how-to-download-and-use-the-dell-os-recovery-image-in-microsoft-windows

However I failed every time.The message "We are unable to connect to backend" appeared.Any DELL people can help me?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

May 28th, 2022 03:00

Is the system in warranty?  Once it's out of warranty, the download option will fail.

March 1st, 2023 12:00

I went through wayyyy too much to get a simple process completed. All I wanted to do was to put my DXPS 15 back to factory defaults. I used the Dell OS Recovery method, which boiled down is to boot into the embedded recovery mode. That is achieved by hitting F12 during a cold boot until the message appears in the upper right hand corner. That method didn't work for me the way I wanted to because I apparently didn't have a recovery partition on my laptop. Not sure why this was, maybe because the system came with Windows 10 installed, and I updated to Windows 11. So the option to go back to the original image was grayed out. Choosing the the option requires you to log into your local network which downloads the latest version of Windows and then applies the Dell drivers. The first error I got was thrown stating "unable to detect any disks found..." . The solution to that was found here, which required a quick change in the BIOS (reboot, F2 and make the change. Be sure to put it back to default after completion):

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/We-were-unable-to-detect-any-disks-that-can-be-utilized-for-a/td-p/8277931

That worked, and so I moved on. Then I got another error stating that the restore couldn't complete because of "Unable to connect to backend...". That issue was resolved by changing my laptop's internet connection to my cell phone's hotspot (seriously). That indicates to me it's a firewall issue, so if you get it you can either modify your router's firewall or do what I did. After that the restore completed. 

But... All of that was a waste because I still didn't have the recovery partition restored. Instead it led me back down the path where the system boots to the "WIFI" networks screen to do the restore. This was all after downloaded what I thought was the full install on a 16GB USB. 

Dell tech support was not helpful. Two phone calls, and 3 emails prior to all of this were unhelpful and a waste of time. I found the answers here, and online in general.

Good luck!

No Events found!