Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

12 Posts

August 23rd, 2022 06:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Driver power state failure

Dear members of the community,

I have the Dell XPS 15 9570. Recently, maybe a few months ago, I started to have the blue screen error that reads Driver Power State Failure. It happens randomly. Sometimes as an omen of bad luck, my mouse freezes (both the BT and touchpad) while everything works, and then after a minute, I get a blue screen error. Sometimes everything freezes, and I get the blue screen. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but I have updated to windows 11. I had no such problems when I used windows 10. I have also tried to look for this information online, but it did not conform to my exact problem, so I did not have luck finding the answer. My problem happens not during the sleep mode, but anytime, for instance, the laptop can crash while using Word. I have tried to reinstall the system, but a clean install of Win11 did not help. Please help me to solve this problem, as it really disrupts important work tasks. Thank you very much.

16 Posts

November 15th, 2022 18:00

Tried contacting Dell, clueless, support today.  It was a sale to send them a message.  The sale price is $99 to exchange information with someone who can't speak the language and has no clue how to troubleshoot an issue, except to do a clean install of the OS. I'm hoping someone has a support contact with Us support, it's extra money to get that and I paid it for my service period, so we can get to the bottom of this.

5 Posts

November 15th, 2022 18:00

Yeah, this is exactly what happens, it freezes and then crashes. They need to fix this because I'd say it's weird that it happens the same way for everyone in different computers.

I also ran BlueScreenView and it's exactly like yours, pointing the error to "ntoskrnl.exe" (the most), "dxgkrnl.sys" and "nvlddmkm.sys". All of them are related to the GPU.

November 16th, 2022 08:00

I sincerely hope that someone can help and get Dell to address this. I just tweeted @DellCares and @DellHilft (their German one), since most company's Twitter support has more resources for the amount of requests they receive. I've had so many driver issues with this thing, but this is by far the worst. I can't stand this company anymore.

November 18th, 2022 09:00

I just tried to send them a mail about our issue to the German email address they have in their imprint (webmaster_german@dell.com). Apparently, even though it is featured on their website, it doesn't exist anymore. Wow. There seriously is no way to contact this company.

@DellCares responded automatically to me, did not get any further than being told that my device is out of warranty (what a joke...). German @DellHilft never responded in the first place. This thread is literally gaining like 500 views a day.

The DDU trick stopped working for me, or more likely it never worked and I simply never pushed it hard enough to trigger a BSOD. Also, If you have any warranty whatsoever with dell, please contact them and show them this thread! This is utterly unacceptable. This laptop is no longer useful for what I need it to do.

16 Posts

November 18th, 2022 14:00

They still put out driver updates for this product so they are liable regardless of the warranty status.

Code of Conduct. DELL-Admin>

November 18th, 2022 17:00

Not a bad idea. Maybe we can get enough out of it to get some non-dell laptops LOL.

1 Message

November 29th, 2022 06:00

I had this problem.  It was resolved.

I have a Dell XPS 8940 PC running Windows 10.  It's almost 2 years old.   A few weeks ago (in October 2022, or early November), the PC began crashing with the Blue Screen of Death, with the "Driver Power State Failure" error message.  The PC would then automatically restart, which would resolve the issue until the next day, when I'd start my computer in the morning for the day.   This went on, day after day, for weeks. 

In reading the comments on this (Dell) forum, plus other forums, it seemed clear to me that this problem was due to an A/V problem of some sort.  Weeks ago, I had installed an A/V card for importing video files from analog inputs, such as a cassette player or video camera.   The card is an AVerMedia CE310B.  I had also installed the related drivers. 

So I uninstalled the A/V card, along with the related drivers.   That was a couple of days ago and I have not had the Driver Power State Failure blue screen of death since then.

Maybe this won't resolve your situation, but you might want to look back and see if you installed any A/V related drivers or updates -- and, of course, any video cards -- and uninstall them or go back to a previous version of a driver that was stable. 

16 Posts

January 5th, 2023 14:00

Has anyone had this problem lately?  I haven't had it in about a month.  

January 17th, 2023 07:00

Dell Precision 8850h / 32gb RAM / P1000 / 1Tb SSD

I tried one final rebuild of my laptop from scratch, thinking i would replace it if it did not work.
So far it has been running for a couple of months with no BSOD - I have been leaving Photoshop running in the background whenever i use it, to try and replicate the problem but it has been fine ... so far.

Did a patch happen that dealt with this problem? Who knows ...

16 Posts

January 17th, 2023 08:00

Something happened, because I haven't had the issue for a while now. I think there was a BIOS update since I last had the problem.

5 Posts

January 18th, 2023 12:00

I think they solved it. I haven't had any issues for weeks now. I hope it stays that way.

11 Posts

February 14th, 2023 08:00

Same here. The issue persists with use of Adobe Photoshop and Davinci Resolve.

February 14th, 2023 08:00

I use Lightroom frequently and tend to leave it open for long periods. It used to get glitchy in the Lightroom window and I would know that my GPU had stopped being used by Lightroom. I could confirm by going to performance settings and seeing it only using the cpu, with the gpu disabled. Same for photoshop. After that I would have roughly 5 minutes before it crashed. Interestingly enough if I didn’t trigger it to really use the gpu, it would run just fine. I imagine this is some sort of gpu driver bug that was flushed out for many users.

Originally I was able to get around it by using older nvidia drivers from May of last year, but one day it updated and stopped having issues.

I am running the i9 with 32gb ram. Out of curiosity for those of you who still have issues, do you have the i9 or i7 intel cpu in your machines? Also, how much ram are you running?

No Events found!