Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 15th, 2019 23:00

External battery bank for XPS 13 9380

What external battery bank is recommended for a Dell XPS 13 9380? How many hours can I get out of it?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 16th, 2019 05:00

Assuming you were asking about an external battery pack, in order to run the XPS 13 models properly you’d need a power bank capable of 45W USB PD output, which is relatively rare among power banks since most of them are designed for smartphones and tablets that only require 10-18W, and power banks that can deliver laptop power output levels are more expensive than power banks of similar capacity that can only offer lower output rates. However, Dell makes a suitable power bank called the PW7018LC. It is capable of up to 65W power output when used standalone and 90W when the power bank itself is connected to a wall so that you can charge the power bank and laptop simultaneously.

As to how many hours you can get out of it, that of course depends on how you use your laptop, but the power bank’s capacity is 65 Wh (watts and watt-hours are different things even though this power bank is rated for 65 in each case) and the XPS 13 9380’s internal battery is 52 Wh according to Dell’s specs document for that system. Since energy transfers aren’t 100% efficient, I would say the PW7018LC should be able to fully recharge the XPS 13’s internal battery once, meaning you will basically double your laptop’s battery life. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 16th, 2019 02:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @cossio 

New Dell XPS 13 (9380) OEM Original XPS 13 9370 / 9380 4-Cell 52Wh Battery - DXGH8:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=28889

Best regards,

U2

6 Posts

@jphughan I saw that the PW7018LC does not include an AC charger. Can I use the charger that comes with my XPS 13 9380 to charge the external power bank (PW7018LC)?

6 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Happy to help! Also note that since that power bank uses the USB PD standard, you would be able to use that power bank with any other USB-C device that could operate on 65W or less. It’s not proprietary to Dell laptops.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 16th, 2019 06:00

Yes, that’s exactly how it’s meant to be used. As I said above, you can connect your laptop’s charger to the power bank and then connect the power bank to the system, which allows you to charge both devices at the same time from that single wall charger. You might find it useful to review the documentation for the PW7018LC available on support.dell.com. In fact you SHOULD also be able to charge the power bank from any other USB-C charger that supports USB PD, even though the documentation only mentions Dell USB-C chargers as supported inputs for the power bank. I’m not sure what the minimum wattage output capacity would be for a third-party charger, but the XPS 13’s charger is 45W. It’s not difficult to find USB-C chargers that support even 60W, and even the ones made by quality third parties are typically cheaper than Dell even after you include the price of a long USB-C charging cable to make sure you have the same total cord length as your regular charger (I use a 10-foot cable since my Dell adapter offers 9 feet of total cord length). In fact, it’s even possible that the power bank will charge faster when connected to a higher wattage source. So if you ever want a second charger (which by the way could also be used directly with your XPS 13), you should just get a 60W USB-C charger. I have various chargers from Anker, Nekteck, and Satechi that I really like and use with multiple Dell systems and other devices on a regular basis. The Satechi charger is especially fantastic as a travel charger since it provides enough ports of the right kind to cover everything I take with me. I can go into more detail about those devices if you’re curious. Good luck! 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 16th, 2019 07:00

In addition to the above, I found a post I wrote here earlier about those USB-C chargers I mentioned if you want it: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/USB-C-charger-for-Dell-XPS-15-7590-OLED-GFX1650/m-p/7345857/highlight/true#M32234

November 13th, 2019 21:00

Xiaomi Mi power bank 3 20000 has 45W PD output and charges my XPS 13 9370. So would charge XPS 13 9380.

Costs around 35-40 bucks.

No Events found!