Start a Conversation

Unsolved

IE

1 Message

May 28th, 2022 06:00

How can we upgrade XPS 15 9570 from 1TB SSD to 4TB ?

I have tried to install a Western Digital 4TB SSD in my XPS 15 9570 after cloning the entire 1TB original SSD to it and when the laptop boots up, the new SSD is not recognized and Dell instigates a repair operation.

The new 4TB SSD is the same in all respects, except for the capacity:
Original: TOSHIBA 1TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 4 lanes NVMe
New: Western Digital "WD Red SN700" 4TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 4 lanes NVMe

I understand that disk capacities over 2TB do not use MBR (Master Boot Record), they have to be UEFI and they use GUID Partitions (GPT).

Is it possible to make this Dell XPS 15 9570 function with the 4TB SSD?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

May 28th, 2022 07:00

If the system sees the drive at the firmware level, the problem is likely the way the drive was cloned.  Try a clean installation.

Also realize that WD Red drives are designed for NAS (network attached storage) - they're not designed to be used in PCs (or notebooks).

12 Posts

November 19th, 2022 14:00

Let's not jump to blaming the WD Red. It came in my Alienware by default, HP too, works just fine in the NEW DELL XPS, we are referring here to "old" DELL XPS.

There's a rumor which could help the guy:

- clone old drive to new drive

- switch to AHCI in bios.

- hit F5 and go to safe mode, if it manages to get into windows, safe mode will enable AHCI and change registry.

- exit safe mode and boot normally

let me know if the rumor is true...

Shorter way testing compatibility: install empty 4TB drive, enable RAID, boot from windows USB install media - if windows crashes during the install/setup, your mobo ain't compatible with 4TB in RAID. No need to waste time cloning.

12 Posts

November 19th, 2022 14:00

I confirm that above rumor works perfectly on my DELL. Disable RAID, Enable AHCI. Get into windows using F5 or F8 in safe mode. This will activate AHCI drivers. Reboot Windows normally. Enjoy your WD RED 4 TB drive. 

Nota bene: I used Aomei Partition Assistant to clone 2TB -> 4TB drive and "expand" the windows partition in one go. Even that worked to my surprise (although not on every drive, that still puzzles me).

Enjoy guys 4TB drives on your notebooks  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 19th, 2022 21:00

@Input Error wrote:

I have tried to install a Western Digital 4TB SSD in my XPS 15 9570 after cloning the entire 1TB original SSD to it and when the laptop boots up, the new SSD is not recognized and Dell instigates a repair operation.

The new 4TB SSD is the same in all respects, except for the capacity:
Original: TOSHIBA 1TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 4 lanes NVMe
New: Western Digital "WD Red SN700" 4TB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 4 lanes NVMe

I understand that disk capacities over 2TB do not use MBR (Master Boot Record), they have to be UEFI and they use GUID Partitions (GPT).

Is it possible to make this Dell XPS 15 9570 function with the 4TB SSD?

It should work.

However, I don't think you can clone a MBR drive and expect it to be GPT so it can work. Try a clean install to blank drive and "unpartitioned space".

Also, on a clone-job, you can't be messing with RAID/AHCI options. It's a clone, so you have to leave those options as-is.

12 Posts

November 20th, 2022 05:00

@Tesla1856  Hi Testla1856, he first needs to make sure that new drive is in GPT format (convert to gpt), only then Acronis would be able (during cloning wizzard) to propose expanding windows partition to the free space of the new drive. During cloning wizzard, I highly recommend using "align ssd partitions",  I see big improvements in performance 4K-4 Thread benchmark when using ssd alignment feature. Optional but just saying

Apropos RAID/AHCI, during cloning there's nothing he can do. He must clone drive as-is and solve problem by entering safe mode either before on source disk, or on the clone after cloning.

It's a 4th notebook I am managine to convert using this method sucessfully. 

There might be other tools, Aomei, Paragon, they all have cloning features and partition alignment...

No Events found!