Unsolved

T

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

July 31st, 2020 14:00

How to Disable Modern Standby for XPS 15 9500

Hello folks,

Please advise how to revert S0 modern standby to S3? I have various issues with it, random wake up, battery drain, overheating in a bag while commuting, sleeping problems at the end of the day... cause it just wakes in the middle of the night. This feature is absolutely disaster for laptops. I have smartphone which has this feature and laptop serves for different purpose 

I really need this to be solved, otherwise I'm ready to return my new laptop back.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

July 31st, 2020 15:00

Microsoft in its turn says "Changing the power model in the BIOS does not require reinstalling the OS as these are changes made at firmware level, the intermediary between the OS and hardware. If enabling S3, you will need to see if there is a corresponding setting for USB resume or something named to that effect.": https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/the-system-is-exiting-connected-standby-reason/3c9288df-64f1-45c6-a0f3-c72ca0d90fb3?messageId=ba82881c-6ea6-49b2-81b5-b8d00771a3cc

So Dell removed option from BIOS and Microsoft removed option from registry. This is shame, cause I'm as a customer have no other alternative. Well, actually HP and Apple then

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 31st, 2020 15:00

@tillias  There used to be registry change that would achieve this, but Microsoft has removed support for that setting from Windows 10 2004, so even if you set it now, it gets ignored.  So unless Microsoft changes something, it appears there is no way to disable Modern Standby anymore unless maybe it can be disabled at a system firmware level, but if you don't see anything like that in the BIOS, then there probably isn't a way.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 31st, 2020 16:00

@tillias  I don't think Dell ever actually had a firmware-level option to disable Modern Standby, so it wasn't removed; it was just never there.  And while I haven't looked for it specifically, I don't know of other system that offered that.  But given that Modern Standby has existed since the days of Windows 8.1, when it was called "Connected Standby", you might find trouble finding modern systems that no longer support it or allow it to be disabled.

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

July 31st, 2020 21:00

Well, I had some Inspirion and Precision models (work laptops) from 2018 and option was there. This was critical for those travelling lot to prevent overheating in airplane, train etc. I have never had such an experience since 2003 (when I first bought Dell Laptop, I think it was Dell Inspiron 8500). I'm really sad I have to say this, but I'm disappointed. 

I can't check it other models, but let's concentrate on XPS 15 9500 and my original question. Can somebody from Dell Support push this topic into production and release BIOS fix please? Or just give me short answer, no we won't so I can save my time and move on to other models / manufacturers

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

That is not correct. Option was in bios for various models, but was removed. Here is example: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-BIOS-sleep-mode-still-gone-3/td-p/7500052

I can confirm that on my friend's HP Laptop there is S3 option in BIOS, so this problem is definitely specific to Dell. I have also asked HP Support to be absolutely sure https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/S3-Standby-mode-in-BIOS-for-modern-HP-Laptops/m-p/7712963 so let's wait for them to respond

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@tillias  That thread you linked about the 9570 doesn’t mention any particular BIOS setting. It only mentions the Windows registry change and confirms that it allows S3 on systems running the latest BIOS. But then Win10 2004 removed support for using that registry setting. But there’s nothing in there about changing settings within the BIOS.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@tillias  I really wouldn’t expect to get that type of official answer about whether or not a feature update will be offered. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an actual Dell rep post that. Even answers about fixes for actual confirmed bugs are pretty rare (though I have seen those). And it’s also very rare to get new features added to the BIOS of an existing system later on, even without an announcement beforehand. So if S3 is important to you and the system currently can’t be put into S3, I really wouldn’t expect it to be added in a BIOS update. And I definitely wouldn’t expect to get an official answer about it one way or the other.

1 Rookie

• 

23 Posts

July 31st, 2020 22:00

Sure, please don't delete this post, I hope it will be useful for those looking for new laptop. 

This is not OS related, but hardware vendor related: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby-vs-s3

"Device wake, even in the S3 model, requires functionality integrated into the BIOS"

Since S3 is legacy it was with us for ages. Nothing todo with Windows but Dell itself

52 Posts

August 6th, 2020 00:00

Just to let you know and probably unsurprisingly, the Precision 5550 also shares the same issue.

Only set it up yesterday with a fresh clean install and everything is updated in term of bios etc.
Shut the lid, left it on the desk and this morning it was quite warm on the lid.  Opened the lid and found the battery which at the point of going to sleep was 100% was now in battery saver mode so under 20%.

Like others here, had this been in a bag, it would have heated up maybe to a point of hardware failure.

August 12th, 2020 14:00

Same problem here with my new Precision 5550 and Windows Build 2004. Hope to see a solution soon. 

52 Posts

August 19th, 2020 14:00

What are you doing at the moment as a result of this "feature"?  shutting down?

One of the side-effects I have noticed I think is that while it is on this modern standby, the SSD use counter when running any of the drive tools (crystal for instance) states the clock is ticking even while the lid is shut.

My worry is this is causing unnecessary use of the SSD when not actually doing anything and this tied in with the heat build-up...

In my case, I am shutting down now but its a right annoyance having to then reopen all my tabs or software that until now, has just been fine for years on standby

August 19th, 2020 15:00

Yes, shutting down is the only safe way to put it in the bag.

While in normal operation. modern standby really because it doesn't always keeps network alive. When I get back to computer, I have to reopen some aplications more sensible to network changes (RDP for example). 

15 Posts

August 25th, 2020 11:00

Incidentally, for those on Windows 10 May 2020 update (2004), you may have noticed that to add insult to injury Microsoft has removed the UI switch to always turn off network while in sleep. I'm happy to confirm that this can still be done through the registry, though - see option 5 on this page:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146593-enable-disable-network-connectivity-modern-standby-windows-10-a.html

powercfg /a confirms that resulting sleep state is "Standby (S0 Lower Power Idle) Network Disconnected". ACSettingIndex for A/C power, DCSettingIndex for battery.

2 Posts

August 25th, 2020 11:00

All - I have the exact same issue - brand new 5550 precision - fresh install less than 3 days old. Thought I was going crazy. So I guess, for now, I'm going to set it so that when I close the lid, I'm going to have the machine hibernate. While not as elegant as Sleep, the restore time seems pretty quick all things considered. Not as fast as coming out of Sleep - but it's functional and the machine won't kill itself. I do completely agree though - a laptop for 3k shouldn't have problems using a feature that's so standard across the board.

16 Posts

September 21st, 2020 22:00

This is how you can disable modern standby in Windows 10 and enable S3 sleep https://superuser.com/a/1539097

However, Dell's BIOS bug prevents it from waking up - this needs to be fixed before S3 is usable on the Precision 5550 and XPS 9500. As a temporary workaround, we'll have to live with battery drain and potentially having the laptop blow up on us  when it gets too hot in the backpack!

I'm sure Dell's already on top of this issue. We'll just have to wait for a new BIOS!

No Events found!