Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

11 Posts

March 24th, 2021 15:00

How to disable modern sleep S3?

Here we are again. Dell blocked the last fix so here is a way to restore normal sleep in the latest bios/windows version

Press start -> type: regedit -> press enter. Then navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\

in the right side of the window right click and select “new”

Enter the 32-bit DWORD value PlatformAoAcOverride and set it to 0.

reboot and normal sleep should be restored (might have to reboot twice for wifi)

If you find any problems just delete the file you created. 

Warning! messing in the registry might break windows. For me and others it worked... no garantees.

EDIT: for some insane reason you have to open and close the lid twice before you get wifi back. so not a full fix.

11 Posts

March 24th, 2021 15:00

EDIT: for some insane reason you have to open and close the lid twice before you get wifi back. so not a full fix.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2021 11:00

Have you found a full fix for this issue? My XPS 9710 is turning on in sleep mode and causing severe overheating issues which often lead to a windows crash due to extensive heat...

2 Posts

August 29th, 2022 06:00

Don't waste your time asking here, I contacted the support team , and we had tens of messages in a long discussion. The final answer was: this is software issue and they cannot help.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2022 11:00

It's not a software issue (mostly). Dell has stopped supporting S3 sleep with their hardware, and doesn't support S0 properly. It causes massive overheating, and wakes when it shouldn't. Modern Standby definitely isn't as good for traveling, but other vendors make it work. If Dell wouldn't have stopped adding S3 sleep to their BIOS/HW it would work fine. I spent 2K on an XPS and Dell officially tells us we can't put it in our bag to travel without turning it off. It's like they went 10 years backwards in terms of technology. Incredibly mad, and will never buy a Dell again if this isn't resolved. I have a similar gen razer laptop that sleeps fine, so it's not software. This is their official stance, shut it down.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2022 11:00

Also, it is not just XPS, our company recently bought a Latitude 5511, and it overheats and can't even stay powered for a few hours. It just remains hot in sleep mode.  For reference I have a 5580 Latitude from years ago that uses S3 sleep, it was left in sleep mode for a week before it got to 5% battery.

No Events found!