Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

1 Message

August 28th, 2019 07:00

I've noticed a lot of people cant solve the problem where the dell shuts off right after it power up

This issue I've ran into many times in my experience. I've narrowed it down to three causes listed below with the solution to each of them.

1)

Cause: Incorrect Power supply unit

Solution: You are using the incorrectly power supply, dell laptops comes in two watt outputs first would be 80 watt other would be 130 watt, you experiencing this issue because your battery has completely drained while using a 80 watt power supply, getting it kick started or getting a new 130 watt power supply would fix this issue, please purchase a unit from a registered supply.

2)

Cause: A faulty ram unit or ram slot.

Solution: elimination process by removing both ram units and testing the unit with one ram card at a time in each ram slot.

3) Cause: Processor overheating

Solution: Replacing the thermal paste every 2 years, thermal paste hardens in age.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 28th, 2019 09:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Vexiler 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

I would just like to add/expand on them a little.

1. Dell AC's come in many sizes most common are from 45w - 240w.

I use a 240w adapter on my bench for testing purposes.

When trying to determine the proper wattage for a laptop look on the bottom for the Volts and Amps.

That will be what is required by the laptop.

Volts x Amps = Watts

2. Most of the time faulty or misconfigured memory (DDR3 in a DDR3L slot) will produce a flash or beep code.

3. Processor overheating usually takes time for a shutdown to occur.

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!