Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

65 Posts

March 24th, 2019 04:00

Integrated webcam or USB webcam not working XPS 9360 Win 10

My webcam was working at some point. Most of the time it is connected to a dock and I hardly use it. Yesterday I have an important Skype call and  guess what :) I get the dreaded  0xA00F4244 error. 

Checking the device manager I discover that the integrated cam is nowhere to be found: 

I updated all drivers, performed a diagnostics and performed 2 fresh installations of windows 10 and nothing has fixed this issue. So I rush out and buy a standalone USB cam so I can be ready to do this call. Get home and connect the camera and it registers. I open the camera app and I have a still image of me. No video. I click the photo button in the app and get a new error: 0xA00F4292

If I launch Skype it sees the USB cam but only shows a black screen. It now also shows up in Device Manager: 

There are no updates available for the driver and I have tried uninstalling it and rebooting, but no different results are achieved. If I go here: 

https://www.onlinemictest.com/webcam-test/

The USB cam works correctly - Very strange... So I really believe that it is definitely a driver/software related. On the other hand, where is my integrated cam? I also installed all chipset drivers from Dell hoping this would find it. At this point, I have nothing.. I see from Google, that there are tons of people with similar results, yet the "working" solutions for these individuals do not work for me. 

When I run diagnostics test from SupportAssist, I get no errors and everything is working fine. If I try and do a cam test, it reports that no cam can be found... I can see it on the bottom left corner of the laptop, so it's definitely there... 

Any tips or does anyone else have a solution that I might try? 

65 Posts

March 24th, 2019 08:00

Just wanted to add that both Google Duo and Hangouts are working with the webcam... Something is certainly disrupting communication for Skype or the Win 10 default camera app. There is still the issue of the missing integrated webcam... 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 24th, 2019 09:00

I think I would start by checking the Bios settings to see if the Webcam can be disabled there.  If so, do that and then reboot a couple of times then re-enable the camera.  There are times when a system will ignore a device and not be able to see it.

You might use Device Manager and enable the show hidden devices view.  Perhaps it will be shown there so you could uninstall that instance.  It should re-install by itself if it is found.

When you have your system on the Dock, are there any cameras available other than your built-in one? 

On your attachment, the external camera is showing under cameras, where my Logitech camera shows up in the Imaging devices section. 

And lastly, Windows has privacy settings for what can use the camera.  This would not seem to be the problem since you cannot see the camera in Device Manager, but you might check.  Remember to watch for the little white LED that should turn on when the camera is in use.

65 Posts

March 24th, 2019 12:00

This is a Trust Trino 720P HD webcam. Idk if that matters..? 

Tried disabling the webcam and this time I got a still image from my USB cam on Skype, instead of a black screen. I enabled the integrated cam again, and the screen goes black on Skype with my USB cam. Seems there is some sort of conflict, yet a missing driver/software for the integrated. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

March 24th, 2019 20:00

I don't know what your system normally does but I checked another system I have and the integrated camera shows up under Cameras in Device Manager.  The system I am currently on it shows up under Imaging Devices.

I would uninstall and then remove the external camera while offline.  The check the internal camera to see if it shows up.

There is always a chance your internal camera is having a problem, but these devices are so common they should work without much input from the user.  If one app was taking control of the camera it might make it look like it is not working but that does not explain why it is not showing up in the Device Manger.  If you see signs of life, maybe it is now being recognized by the system.  When you see the video, does either camera have the light on?

65 Posts

March 25th, 2019 12:00

Quite frustrating... 

So I uninstalled the driver while "offline". Rebooted and the driver did reinstall under the "Imaging Devices". However, now the USB webcam does not work at all. For the record, the USB webcam is working  on other devices, so it's certainly the webcam. So I did a rollback and the driver was now placed again back under "Cameras". The USB cam works again in various apps, Chrome, just not with Windows Camera or with Skype - Where I need it to work... 

No Events found!