Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

3 Posts

October 26th, 2018 07:00

Lid magnets not working

I've noticed that my lid magnets aren't holding my laptop closed when I hold it on my side.  Is there a reason why this started happening and is there a fix?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

Hi Prgpdx,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Unfortunately without knowing the Model Number of your computer, it would be difficult to formulate an answer.  

Generally magnets do not hold the lid closed they just let the system know the lid is closed so it can either turn off or go to sleep.  The hinges normally provide the force required to keep the lid closed even when turning on it's side.  Could the hinges be damaged or out of adjustment?

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

3 Posts

It's a Dell XPS 15 9560 touch.  I bought it March 17 2017 in Prague Czech republic.  There's no noise or anything when I open and close it.  When it's flat on the table it's closed completely, but it doesn't seem to latch because it opens very slightly when I hold it sideways in my arm.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 29th, 2018 04:00

If the lid is not closing completely, then it sounds like a hinge issue.  Have you been able to contact Tech Support in your country for assistance?  I'm located in the USA and have limited access to the procedures in Prague.

No Events found!