Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 16th, 2018 17:00

Loud Fans on yet another XPS 15 9570

Hello, I recently swapped out my Dell XPS 15 9570, 32gb, 1 tb laptop at the Microsoft Store because of loud fans that constantly stay on. On the new computer, the fans came on before connecting to the internet and stayed on. I currently have 2 tabs of Chrome and 3 tabs of Microsoft Edge open. There are no updates downloading or installing in the background. The fans haven't turned off since they first turned on almost immediately after the Cortana setup screen. The computer doesn't feel hot at all, so why won't the fans turn off? Why are they even on in the first place? According to the Task manager, the CPU usage is at 2%, memory is at 20%, Disk is at 0%, Network is at 0%, and GPU is at 3%. Is it normal for the fans to be constantly running with the above usage? I haven't even began to do anything CPU intensive yet. One of the Dell representatives on this forum stated that the slim chassis of the machine causes the fans to run but are they really supposed to be on all of the time, when doing absolutely nothing? Is this truly have the 9570 is designed? I've even tried closing everything and letting my computer sit idly, and they still don't turn off. What could possibly be going on? I know this cant be right and want to swap it for one that performs correctly but the people at the Microsoft Store are beginning to treat me with hostility whenever I show up to swap out the machine.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 17th, 2018 07:00

Hi AJRLver1,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

You may notice the fan noise in Quiet mode is louder than other modes (default is optimized mode), and/or the noise in AC mode is louder than in DC mode (battery mode).To help with this issue Dell recommends an update to your system BIOS from the Dell Drivers and Downloads site. Full details can be found there on how to download the file.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 18th, 2018 23:00

Hello, Thank you for your response. I updated the BIOS and nothing changed. This is one of many XPS 15s that I've had to return and they literally all have had fan issues. Is there a way you know of where I can get a non defective machine? I've tried purchasing from the Microsoft store and from dell.com, and every machine has been defective. I know that non defective machines exist, but how do I get my hands on one?

17 Posts

April 13th, 2019 14:00

Mine is quiet with low tasks and it speed up with heavy tasks, make sure you are not covering the botton fan vents.

Also play with the DPM and try to find one optimal configuration for your needs.

No Events found!