Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2022 19:00

MP4 playback issues in Powerpoint on Dell XPS - Iris Xe iGPU

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Hello,

I've been running into an issue with embedded .mp4 videos in Powerpoint slides. When I scrub/click through the video's media playback bar, it will crash Powerpoint. It can happen after 10 clicks in the video's payback bar, or just after 2 clicks. This happens both in slide editing mode and Slideshow mode.

I'm using a 2 week old Dell XPS 9520 (i5-12500H, Iris Xe iGPU, 16 GB RAM) (been debugging for 5 days now).

At first, I thought this is an Intel Iris Xe driver issue. Why? Because when selecting "Disable Slide Show hardware graphics acceleration" (Options, Advanced, Display), the problem stopped happening, but only in SlideShow mode. The issue would still occur in slide editing mode. Contrary to what I could find online, there was no "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" option (maybe due to the fact I was using Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprise (license obtained through my university).

I tried uninstalling the "normal" Microsoft Office 365 that came pre-installed with the laptop, but that didn't change anything.

At the time of these issues, I had the Intel Iris Xe 30.0.101.3301 driver installed. I managed to install the 30.0.101.3413 driver, but that didn't work. Then Windows Update installed the 30.0.101.1631 driver, yet the issue still persisted.

Today, I factory reset my laptop to remove all apps and start fresh to see if I had installed anything that had corrupted Powerpoint or something. After login for the first time, I connected a USB flash drive and opened a Powerpoint file into the free trial of Powerpoint that came with the laptop. And to my surprise, everything was working correctly! I could skip in the video playback bar as many times as I wanted without crashing Powerpoint. Also, both "Disable Slide Show hardware graphics acceleration" and "Disable hardware graphics acceleration" options were available (and not checked).

This was Office 365 version 16.0.15128.20246. The 30.0.101.3301 Iris Xe driver was installed. And I was on Windows 11 Home, 22H2, build 22621.521 .

I uninstalled Office through the "Apps, Installed apps" menu in Windows Settings, then installed Office Enterprise with my university's license (downloaded from portal.office.com/account after login in with my university account). And now the problem started occurring again. The Office 365 version was now 16.0.15601.20148.

I had not installed anything else before installing Office 365 Enterprise, nor have I installed any Windows updates nor any "Dell" updates.

So that is my issue. With the build of Office provided by my university's license, Powerpoint is unusable (since I import videos daily to Powerpoint), probably due to an incompatibility between that specific Office build and the Intel Iris Xe driver. Has this issue been previously spotted?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 09:00

Hi Tesla,

Thanks for the offer! It's not "embedded" per se, it's a video copied into a PPT slide, which plays when viewing the PPT. I say "embedded video" as opposed to "linked video", as the video is fully copied into the .pptx file and doesn't require a link to the original video file.

Here is an example file videoTest.pptx . The video can be played, but after a few clicks in the playback bar, Powerpoint crashes.

I feel like this is really dependent on the Office version and build used.

Our IT guy at the university (pretty amazing guy) installed the version of Office he installs on uni computers (Office LTSC Professional Plus 2021, 16.0.14332.20375), and that has solved my problem, Powerpoint crashes no more.

So for now the issue is "fixed" for me, but I can imagine this can happen to others.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 01:00

When you're ready to share your presentation, do the following:

On the File tab of the Ribbon, select Info.

If the media in your presentation was inserted in a format that might have compatibility issues when played on another device, the Optimize Compatibility option will appear. If it doesn’t appear, you don’t have compatibility issues and are ready to share.

optimize compatibility button in PowerPoint
Select Optimize Compatibility*. PowerPoint will improve any media that requires optimization.

Compatibility processing dialog

Compatibility processing dialog
* Embedded subtitles and alternate audio tracks are removed in this optimization process.

When the Optimize Compatibility button appears, it provides a summary of resolutions of potential playback issues. It also provides a list of the number of occurrences of media in the presentation. The following are common scenarios that can cause playback issues:

If you have linked videos, Optimize for Compatibility reports that you need to embed them. Select View Links to proceed. The dialog box that opens allows you to embed the videos by selecting Break Link for each link you want to embed.

If you have videos that were inserted using an earlier version of PowerPoint, such as PowerPoint PowerPoint 2007, you'll need to upgrade your media file format so that these files will play. Upgrading automatically updates and embeds the files in the newest format. Once you have upgraded, you should run Optimize for Compatibility again.

To upgrade your media files from an earlier version (such as PowerPoint 2007) to PowerPoint 2010 or later (and embed linked files), on the File tab, select Info, and then select Convert.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 05:00

Hello Adrian,

Unfortunately, my Office 365 for Enterprise build doesn't have a "Optimize Compatibility" feature in File, Info.

There was a "Compress media" feature, which I used, but unfortunately didn't fix the issue.

But that would have been a rudimentary patch anyways, as my issue disappears when I use the trial version of Office that came with the laptop.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 08:00

I didn't even know you could embed MP4 video files in a PowerPoint presentation.

My guess is how the videos actually got encoded ... either when created or maybe an auto re-encode on insertion.

If you want, you can upload your (known failing) PowerPoint presentation somewhere. I'll download it and run it on Office-365/Office-2021 on one of my laptops. You can choose between my XPS-13_9310 (Iris only) or my XPS-15_9520 (Iris and Nvidia) ... one or the other please. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 18:00

@bobzwik wrote:

Hi Tesla,

Thanks for the offer! It's not "embedded" per se, it's a video copied into a PPT slide, which plays when viewing the PPT. I say "embedded video" as opposed to "linked video", as the video is fully copied into the .pptx file and doesn't require a link to the original video file.

Here is an example file videoTest.pptx . The video can be played, but after a few clicks in the playback bar, Powerpoint crashes.

I feel like this is really dependent on the Office version and build used.

Our IT guy at the university (pretty amazing guy) installed the version of Office he installs on uni computers (Office LTSC Professional Plus 2021, 16.0.14332.20375), and that has solved my problem, Powerpoint crashes no more.

So for now the issue is "fixed" for me, but I can imagine this can happen to others.

Well, at least you got it working.

Even in French, I managed to download that file. Works fine for me in:

Microsoft PowerPoint 2021 MSO (Version 2208 Build 16.0.15601.20148) 64-bit

Not sure if that was just a demo or are yall testing drones? I fly custom-built drones also, but can't say I've ever tried to land on an angle like that. Always level ground. I don't think even an automated (flight controller) landing can do that successfully.

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2022 21:00

Thanks for testing out the PPT for me! And I'm sorry about the trouble you had with Sharepoint (and I had no clue it would show up in French). It's always been hit or miss with our Uni's Sharepoint.

But yes, with a different version of Office, I can now use Powerpoint with my issue.

And yes! my research project is about landing drones on inclined surfaces. I know it's off topic, but we recently published an article and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG1K_63q00Y . I've been working on several different drone projects in the past 6 years, it's fun turning a hobby into research/work!

But back to the subject, should I close this thread by accepting a solution (installing a different version/build of Office)?

2 Posts

February 5th, 2023 01:00

Yea so this problem happens for me as well, on a XPS 9510 (11th gen i9), and it appears to have to do with the Intel display driver - if I roll back the driver, the powerpoint crash symptoms disappear, but then they reappear whenever update installs a new driver again. It's not great. Actually this is one of many problems with this laptop, including weird behaviors like Bluetooth randomly disconnecting, screen tearing during scrolling, random crashing.

2 Posts

March 8th, 2023 10:00

Hi, same problem here with XPS 17 9720.

Since I use a lot of presentation with videos inside, I'm getting mad with it!

Any advice?

2 Posts

April 8th, 2023 00:00

Issue fixed please update Intel UHD/Iris Xe Graphics Driver to 31.0.101.4032 version. This fixed one year issues!!!

May 22nd, 2023 07:00

Yes, similar situation still exists in May 23. Brand new xps 9320 will not play embedded video. Seeing this thread I reinstalled office (as part of my microsoft 365) and problem was fixed.

No Events found!