Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2020 12:00

Mcafee download new xps 13 9300

I have recieved my new XPS 13 9300 today however I have not recieved a code or any instruction on to download the 12 month McAfee subscription which was included in the purchase of my order. 

There is nothing on Dell Digital Delivery which relating to this either. 

What do I do? 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 10th, 2020 11:00

@Chesca11  That last question you asked is loaded, and you will invariably find different opinions.  Some people have AV that they love, maybe because it caught a virus that something else missed one time.  But it is the case that Defender holds up well in virus detection against the competition, including paid competition.  Some third-party AV offers extra features to try differentiate themselves from the pack, but what one person calls "features" other people (such as myself) would call "bloat".

But what is inarguable is that in order to do their job, AV needs to hook deeply and pervasively into Windows, often using techniques that Microsoft does not officially support, and that can sometimes cause problems.  That's how third-party AV can render systems unbootable after Windows updates sometimes.  Essentially, Microsoft changed something that no third party applications should have been touching anyway, but the AV tool was, and that plus the fact that AV runs at low level means that when the AV could no longer hook into Windows that way, the system couldn't operate properly (or at all).  Users of course blame Microsoft since, "My system worked before I installed the Windows update!" even though the true underlying cause was their AV.

And then I've just seen a bunch of other cases that make me think that anti-virus has gone too far, in the sense that in their quest to prevent viruses, they've started meddling so much that they can interfere or bog down even legitimate activities, ironically causing them to generate the very virus-like behavior of poor performance and blocked activity that they're supposed to be protecting against.  For example:

• A while ago, Microsoft changed the digital signature format of Windows updates (from SHA-1 to SHA256).  When that happened, systems that had Symantec AV installed could no longer install Windows updates.  For some reason, Symantec AV was meddling with the Windows update process, even though Microsoft already has safeguards for ensuring that only legitimate updates get installed, but Symantec didn't like the new signing algorithm and that brought down Windows Update on those systems.
  • In another Symantec case, Google tried to enable a new security feature in Chrome.  Systems with Symantec AV installed started experiencing frequent Chrome crashes.  It was so bad that Google rolled back that change for a few months to give Symantec time to fix their AV.  A few months later, Google enabled that Chrome feature again....and once again people with Symantec AV started seeing Chrome crashes.
  • In a third Symantec case, Symantec AV actually CREATED a security vulnerability.  It turns out that when your application hooks practically everywhere into your system, then a flaw in your code can be exploited from practically anywhere on your system.  In this case, the bug was in Symantec's network traffic scanner, and it meant that an attacker could compromise your PC simply by sending it specially crafted network traffic, with no action required on your end.

The really annoying thing for me is that AV often doesn't tell you every time it's interfering with something, and in some cases even disabling them doesn't COMPLETELY disable them, which means that if you're having weird issues, even figuring out whether your AV is the culprit can be difficult.

And some AV solutions expect you to PAY for the privilege of this nonsense!

These types of issues are why I dumped third-party AV when Microsoft released Security Essentials, which has since been rolled into Defender and built into Windows.  And nowadays with Windows updates and even major releases coming all the time, the risk of bad interactions between AV and Windows is higher than it was even back then.  So I just have never felt it was worth the hassle (and especially the money).

• 

25.1K Posts

July 9th, 2020 12:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 10th, 2020 10:00

@Chesca11  Honestly I wouldn't use McAfee even if the 12-month subscription came for free.  Just stick to Windows Defender.  Dell gets paid by McAfee to pre-install McAfee because McAfee hopes that users will start paying for a subscription after the initial trial period, but third-party anti-virus in general seems to cause more problems than it solves these days where Windows gets major updates every 6 months.  I work in IT, so I see lots of cases of third-party AV rendering systems unbootable after a Windows update because the AV was hooking into the system in ways that Microsoft did not support or recommend, and also interfering with or blocking legitimate activity.  Meanwhile, Windows Defender holds up quite well in independent tests, it's free, and it's much less likely to interfere with legitimate activity because every Windows app developer would test for Defender's behavior since it's built into Windows, whereas they won't test all third-party AV applications.

2 Posts

@jphughan thank you for your reply.. that's really good to know. Will do some research into it but thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Is Windows Defender just as good as any antivirus software then? Sorry if that's an obvious question.

I also did not find those instructions on how to install the included mcaffee software

1 Message

May 26th, 2022 11:00

There is nothing at Dell.com about downloading either! Dell takes your money and sends you a lot of cardboard with no support.

Why not just show us the link to download what we paid for in our account?

Dell customer service is ZERo help with this.

Where is my McAFee download?

No Events found!