Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

J

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

January 19th, 2022 13:00

My new XPS 17 9710 frustration. How many total pcie lanes for storage?

Upset because I beleive I just spent $3200 on this laptop and once again got skimpped by dell on pcie lanes. Last laptop I had from Dell skimpped on the tb3 pcie lanes by only giving 2 lanes, thus making it half speed.

Now I'm reading, (I hope it's not true) that dell has quietly decided to only provide a total of 4 pcie lanes for the 2 nvme drives in the xps 9710.

This isn't a debate about raid 0 or why I care about both m.2 ports needing 4 lanes each . This is simply a question.

So, how many total PCIE lanes does the XPS 17 9710 have in TOTAL, between both m.2 drives? 4 lanes or 8?

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

January 19th, 2022 16:00

Given that it's been documented the XPS 9700 had four total (i.e., both drives share lanes), the 9710 is almost certainly designed the same way -- the system would have needed a clean-sheet mainboard redesign, which given the minor changes between the two systems, it almost certainly did not receive.

November 29th, 2022 16:00

I just ordered a new XPS 17 and read about this.  Are there any manufacturers who do the full implementation of the PCIE lanes.  I too was burned on the two xps 15s I bought along with the high priced external drive I bought that only ran at half speed. I am looking to make smarter decisions this time around.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.8K Posts

November 30th, 2022 05:00

If you ordered, purchased a machine and found out certain devices or components are missing, you could return it within the first 30 days.

Don't make a purchase because of you assume or expect to receive something not disclosed.  Don't make a purchase a machine for a purpose and not knowing if the machine is capable of.  And certainly, don't purchase a pre-built with intention to rebuild, upgrade with aftermarket components because Dell machines use many non-standard components.

(edited)

No Events found!