Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2020 08:00

New 2020 XPS 17 Trackpad Drag and Drop Issue

Got my new XPS 17 and the trackpad seems to work great with clicking touch.  However, when "drag and drop" I have to hold the left-click down really hard, and even then, it will lose hold and drop the item.  Very frustrating.  It sometimes it works fine, but it is often enough where I feel not confident when moving files.  Windows trackpad settings doesn't help.

4 Posts

January 6th, 2022 10:00

Update:

Dell's "Vinay from the Dell Social Media" had me adjust the touchpad to "high sensitivity"
Top do so, for Windows 11, tap your Windows key and type in TOUCHPAD > expand section TAPS > change touchpad sensitivity to MOST SENSITIVE.

For me, with testing about 100 "left-finger click&hold and right-finger drag and then right-finger lift to continue dragging" I had only 2 times when an item dropped prematurely with the right-finger lift (despite the left-finger still doing a hold).

At this point, I'm feeling good about this high-sensitivity setting being a solution for me.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 4th, 2020 04:00

Does the external Mouse works fine? Now that issue is with the touchpad, let’s perform a few steps to find out whether this is due to a hardware or software defect.

Let’s try the hardware test first and find out if the touchpad functions during this test.
Here’s a video on how to run the hardware test.
https://dell.to/3lRDFDN
Also, do note if the test results in any errors, do let us know.

If the test passed, and there are no errors, I’d request you to check the functionality in BIOS as well.
How to check-in BIOS? https://dell.to/2ZnuDFl
If the touchpad works in both the scenarios, then we can say that the hardware is completely fine.

We could move on further toward updating the drivers and BIOS now.
This can be easily done by using our Dell Support Assist application.

Here are the videos that’ll help you:
https://dell.to/330YzrP;
https://dell.to/3jMo7PU;

Let me know the outcome.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2020 03:00

Does not help 

4 Posts

November 17th, 2020 09:00

Hi and thanks a lot for your help.

they must be kidding! The trackpad does have a ton of false clicks. Really Nothing ist working. I have drag n drop issues, false Klicks, wobbling when Laptop is on my knees, ....

well they can try to call it a feature, but I am pacient man, I will drive them crazy with calling support and changing the pad

17 Posts

Yes, Dell's trackpad seems to have a hardware flaw with "click and hold" has intermittent drops that Dell won't acknowledge for fix.  They even put out a service bulletin that states that it was designed this way to prevent false clicks, which is more of Apple-like smokescreen to bury their flaws and prevent recalling the flawed trackpad.

So after the service guy came and replaced my trackpad, same issue.  Probably not even worth going back and asking for him to return, it is a hardware design flaw it seems, not software.

17 Posts

Here's the link to the bulletin.

and a similar forum topic on this.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-17-9700-left-bottom-corner-of-touchpad-not-working/td-p/7653751

17 Posts

Well, hope it is just because I lost the "trackpad quality" lottery twice and there are good trackpads out there?  Let us know if a replacement fixes (or eventually) fixes the problem.  I'd be interested to know as I'm surprised not more folks are complaining.

February 22nd, 2021 13:00

I love my xps17, but the track pad is utter  rubbish. So loud, some sort of click before the real click, then when you touch to move the mouse if often registers as a click. Frankly it’s unusable, and too loud and clumbersome. In the corners it’s so mushy but solid in other areas  just bad. 

1 Message

May 12th, 2021 18:00

I just bought a new XPS 9700 and I’m having the same issues with drag and drop. Doesn’t work right most of the time. 

1 Message

November 30th, 2021 06:00

Same issue out on a brand new XPS17 straight out of the box. Dell offered me a replacement in 4-6 weeks time. I use for business so not practical. Had to reluctantly accept a refund or an engineer fitting a replacement pad. On a product less than an hour old accepting a new part just isn't acceptable.

4 Posts

December 30th, 2021 20:00

For me, the problem is during dragging on my touchpad. 
Let's say I want to move a desktop icon from one corner of my screen to the other corner.
On the touchpad, I position my mouse on the icon.  Then I use my left finger to press the left-bottom corner of the touchpad to execute a left-button click and I then hold it, then I drag with my finger across the touchpad to move the icon along the screen, but after reaching the touchpad's edge I must lift my finger to place it nearer to the center of the touchpad so that I can resume my finger stroke to further move the icon along the desktop screen (all the while I keep the left-bottom corner of the touchpad depressed) -- this works on every laptop I've used in the past, but with this XPS 17 as soon as I lift my right finger it will drops the icon. 
I have inadvertently dropped files, folders, emails, etc. into unintended places by lifting my right finger to continue moving an item across the screen.
I have not found any solution to this. 

February 26th, 2022 06:00

I've had this issue too since day one. At first it was not so bad. It wouldn't start for about 30 or 40 minutes. THen the mouse would start getting progrssively more sluggish to the pointit would take me a full minute just to force the mouse on top of a button so I could click it. The only way I knew to fix it was to reboot the machine. Somewhere (?) I read a recommendation to make sure you do not touch the trackpad while the system is booting up because it goes through a calibration. So I have been doing that. Can't say that it helps. 

THe issue is happening more frequently for me these days. Surprisingly I have very few of the false clicks aor premature drops like others report. I get them every now and then, but not often. 

No Events found!