Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2020 10:00

XPS 15 9500, can't disable auto brightness

New Dell XPS 15 9500 can't disable auto-brightness. Same happened with my previous XPS 15 4K Touchscreen.

Can anyone tell my why is Dell implementing this terrible auto brightness feature on their laptops that just kills your eyes and your nerves?

I disabled the auto brightness under the display settings - nothing changed, screen dims when a darker app is opened and then come very slowly back when going to a bright app, such as chrome. 

No option to disable auto brightness in the Advanced Power Settings.

Could not find a way to disable it in BIOS either.

My new XPS 15 9500 is such a lovely laptop. I simply don't get it why do you (DELL) have to ruin my experience?

Your Indian WhatsApp support is no better. Only ridiculous questions and suggestions that will simply waste your time.

77 Posts

October 20th, 2020 02:00

Here is the fix for everyone else having this issue, and also for Dell Support Staff to update their books!

You need Intel Graphics Control Panel, which does not come preinstalled. Also you cannot find it the Microsoft Store either. You need to go there via the Intel website, following the link here

After downloading it, go to Power, and then disable all the energy saving features as per below =

3.PNG

Peace to all!

• 

25.1K Posts

October 19th, 2020 10:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

17 Posts

October 19th, 2020 11:00

I had this issue on my old laptop (before replacing it bc of its touchpad issue) and it was really bad when watching netflix. When I got my replacement I haven't noticed the issue anymore and saw that the auto brightness function actually served its purpose when toggled off. I would try and get a replacement before your warranty period is up. 

77 Posts

October 19th, 2020 14:00

On my previous XPS 15 7590 4K Touchscreen I was able to turn the auto-brightness off in the Intel Graphics Control Panel, which I'm not having preinstalled on my new XPS 15 9500, hence don't really know where to look to disable this ridiculous auto-brightness feature.

One observation is that the auto-brightness kicks in only when running on battery and not when Plugged In.

The auto-brightness I refer to is the feature which dims the display when using a dark coloured app, when switching back to a bright app as Chrome, the screen will very gradually increase the brightness back. This is just driving me crazy to be very honest, what a stupid feature for a laptop this expensive, that you cannot simply turn off. WAKE UP DELL!!!

• 

25.1K Posts

October 20th, 2020 01:00

Hi, could you please follow the below steps and advise?

1. Right click on Start and open Device manager
2. Expand Display Adapaters
3. Right click on Intel UHD driver and then Uninstall.
4. Restart your machine and check if the issue remains with Auto brightness disabled. If it does,
5. Download the latest video driver from here.
6. Download the Intel graphics command center from here.

Change the setting and check. If the issue remains,

1. Press Windows + S and launch Task Scheduler
2. Go to Task Scheduler Library and expand it
3. Expand Microsoft > Windows> Select Display
4. Choose Brightness and disable or delete the task BrightnessReset

• 

25.1K Posts

October 20th, 2020 02:00

Hi, I am glad the issue is resolved. I am not sure if you saw our messages, but we did DM you the links to install Intel Graphics command center an hour ago.

Thank you for confirming your issue is resolved.

No Events found!