Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CH

1 Message

May 22nd, 2020 04:00

New XPS 13 9300 freeze and blue screen

My new (2020) XPS 13 9300 has been giving me great problems and so far Dell Tech Support has not been very supportive. The problem started about 3 weeks after I received the laptop. It started with a blue screen of death (BOD). I followed all of the diagnostic and trouble shooting suggestions but still no fix. I even did a complete system reset (re-installed windows) but the problem persists.

The laptop often freezes while on the blue screen and requires a hard shut down. On restart it sometimes will go through startup, albeit very slowly, and then after a random period of time it will go back to the blue screen. The cause of the error on the blue screen is not always consistent. Other times after a hard shut down and restart it will not complete the startup and freeze again. Other times it is just the black screen and no indication that it is going through the startup process and all I get is the power light flashing the white light 4 or 5 times followed by the power light flashing yellow twice.  

Dell refuses to replace the laptop saying the 30 day return time had passed, although I only had the laptop for 26 days. They start the 30 day clock from the date of invoice and not the date of delivery. Am I the only one that thinks this is a ridiculous policy. The laptop was in transit with the shipping company (they selected) for 5 days and they  counted that against the 30 days. (Sorry for the rant)

Any suggestions on how to fix my technical problem are appreciated.

Thanks,

CBH

August 25th, 2020 08:00

Get a refund as soon as you can if you're still within the return window. I've owned various macbook pro's over 10 years now and my last model hasn't had a single kernel panic. Apple products seem to be flawless yet Dell is problem after problem.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2020 09:00

I have had issues from about 2 weeks out of delivery. Freezes up on start up screen have to do a hard restart. Freezes up after inactivity. I have reset to factory twice already and that did not help! And customer service is non existent, all they do is run a hardware scan to make sure they are not responsible for the problem. Blaming it on the software. I actually paid the the $99 for the software diagnostics call with Dell.They called me twice and I missed both calls (i was in the bathroom once time!) and there is no number to call back. I've been on hold for an hour at a time. I've been disconnected after being on hold for 30 minutes and stuck in a loop of people who can't help. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do next! There is literally no corporate number to call in the US. If anyone has any advice let me know! Thanks!

September 18th, 2020 21:00

This is exactly the same problem I am having with my laptop XPS 13 7390 (blue screens) and nobody has resolved from dell. 

Unfortunately, the Advanced Resolution Services representative I have is Allen Chris Dominique who is by far the most impolite, rude, and sarcastic person I have ever had to deal with. Allen yells over the phone and then he sent you a polite e-mail. He acts like he is smarter than the customers. He constantly lies, for example, he left me a voice message stating that he was sent an e-mail and that was not true. He just does not care because he is the highest point of contact for customers, so you cannot complain about him. My case has not been resolve yet and he acts as he does not care. He might have got to that position lying to his bosses.

However, I will leave you below is a link where you can report them https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/media/video-0054-how-file-complaint#:~:text=To%20file%20a%20complaint%2C%20just,bad%20guys%20out%20of%20business.  This link is for the federal trade commission and they explain there how to file complaints. Good luck 

I am trying to find a way to get another person to handle my case I hate abusers, arrogant, rude, and robotic person. I would rather hear an answering machine recorded by an educated person.

I urge DELL to not act like the powerful 70 billion company against a customer trying to make them feel  insignificant as you have been doing. Do not belittle the people who have made DELL be the huge company it is today. Dell needs the humility to accept when they make a mistake and assume the consequences of them instead of using their employees, power, money, policies, lies, and manipulations to make the customers get the losses for Dell’s faults.

1 Message

September 25th, 2020 09:00

Hello there,

thank you so much for your great post. I would like to tell you that I’ve had the same experience with that person Chris Dominic Allen. That person didn’t keep it’s promise and I swear by God he lied to me and was going laying on the time aspect and I’ve all the evidences that proof that. My story with Dell is very long.

Thank you!

2 Posts

I did that twice already. Sadly it's been 60 days so no refund for me!

@debg2000 You should install windows from scratch. If it works out great if not make sure you're within 30 days return the laptop for a full refund

October 5th, 2020 18:00

I think this thread is same as "https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/xps-13-9300-freezes-constantly/td-p/7690400". I have the same issue and there is an undefined event log 0x03808164 in my bios event log every time after freezing.

October 8th, 2020 14:00

I have a dual-boot with ubuntu and windows, after seeing the following post:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-randomly-freezing-known-issue/td-p/7634710

I tested the solution in my windows but it did not work. However, for Ubuntu, I followed the following instruction by removing the intel driver (although it was different from what is mentioned in here) and fallback to modesetting driver.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_13_(9300)

Currently, I did not get any freezing for two days. It is such a relief!

1 Message

December 11th, 2020 05:00

I had the same issue, re-installed windows 10, installed generic intel drivers, and disabled SpeedStep in BIOS. No freezings in the last 24hrs.

Best luck with this possible solution.

Alen 

11 Posts

February 14th, 2021 23:00

I too have an XPS 13 9300.   It is 8 months old and problematic from the outset.  In the past I have done factory reset.  Then I found that going to sleep caused BSOD overnight.  For a few months it was fine.  Two weeks ago the machine would not boot and I had error light on the front on 2 amber 4 white.  The motherboard has been replaced.

Then the machine crashed with a repeated BSOD and watchdog message

I did a factory reset and it crashed again

I have now done a clean install of WIndows 10 from MS site.    It automatically installed updates and drivers.  I only loaded some basic programs and none from Dell knowingly.   

I left it powered and it crashed giving the cause as ntoskrnl.exe error which I had before.  I changed the power setting to go to hiberbate instead of sleep.  This morning, it was in hibernation.  I restarted and it started up and then froze

Is there no way I can get a replacement machine from Dell?   I am so fed up to have spent so many hours trying to get this sorted.  This has to be the worst computer I have ever owned

• 

25.1K Posts

February 15th, 2021 07:00

Hi,

I'm Deepak one of the Managers at Dell Social Media. I’m writing to you regarding the interaction you had with my team.

Karthik bought this case to my attention.   

I’ve reviewed this case, and first of all I’d like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

I understand that your facing BSOD issues with your system.

I'm also sorry that our support did not reach your expectations.

Please be rest assured that we will do everything possible to resolve the issue.

I see that our phone support team has set up a service to replace the SSD on your system to resolve the issue. I am positive this should fix the issue, 

Request you to please wait for the service to complete.

Regards,

Deepak K

Team Manager

Dell Social Media Team

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 10:00

Just for the record SSD replaced. Clean install of Windows from the Microsoft site. Loaded a few basic programs. BSOD and Watchdog error. Got to the point that I could not start the system.   

Re-started by doing complete recovery install of Windows yet again. Only installed program to update all drivers. BSOD again , and then not possible to boot.

The XPS is now an expensive paperweight while I wait for a call to say what will happen next.

Given that the BSOD only started after the motherboard was replaced it seems to me that the replacement Motherboard is faulty - but what would I know. 

I am fed up that this premium laptop has failed so dramatically.

1 Message

February 24th, 2021 14:00

I wanted to ask if anyone has found a solution? 

I have to do two complete new reinstall. Went to a blue screen during the clean restore. Then green screen and another reinstall.

Does Dell have any idea on how to stop this. Tired of doing a reinstall every couple of mi the 

10 Posts

March 19th, 2021 10:00

Oh, I should read this thread earlier before upgrading 2019's xps which worked non-stop

On new XPS 9310 (late 2020) I started having issues with random freezes (~2x per day). Running clean Ubuntu 20.04 system with 5.6.0-1048-oem kernel. Did not started conversation with support yet, but seems like big "fun".

10 Posts

March 19th, 2021 12:00

Looks like Dell does not care because notebook was shipped with windows initially

They say: "Sadly, the warranty does not cover problems in a different operating system than the one that came with the unit. "

So looks like OEM kernel and Ubuntu certification is not really something we can rely on..

No Events found!