Received an email from Dell-Cares advising that Alienware Update App had been discontinued and the app can be deleted from system. I rang Dell Australia support to confirm this and they checked into whether deleting from system was an issue. SupportAssist performs all the update checks required so deleting Alienware Update is probably the best solution to stop the random update notifications. I have an Aurora R5 with v3.1 of Alienware Update and I can get those notifications frequently. Haven't deleted update app from my system yet, but will probably do soon if I hear nothing else offered as the solution. Hope this helps 🙂
I hope you're doing well.
I'm still waiting for an update. I will keep you posted as soon as I have an update on this.
Experiencing the same issue with update pop-up after every reboot. I am using an XPS-13-9370, running Dell Update v3.1 and Support Assist v3.4. I can also confirm that I see the same apparent date error issue in regards to the Last Check for an update. Mine is currently showing Last Check of 11-6-19 even though I have checked many times since, and a Last Update of 1-7-20.
I hope this gets fixed soon!
Same issue here on an Alienware 17 R2 running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 build 18363.535 with Alienware Update Version 3.1
Note that this issue has been persistent on this machine since buying it new in early 2016 and hence regardless of which version of Dell Support Assist and/or Dell/Alienware Update I happened to be running at any given time.
My "fix" for this has always been to uninstall and only reinstall when I want to check for system updates BUT I also fully understand that this is dodging the issue and is not a solution.
I completely agree this this MUST be a programming error I.e., BUG in the software relating to time/date stamps as several here have already indicated what is being reported in regard to opening the application and noting the values reported at both Last Check: AND Last Update: - in my case I have a Last Check value of 3/11/2019 (which seems about right as from memory I installed a BIOS update at around this time) and a Last Update value of 30/12/2018 - as is plainly evident there, the Last Update value is not being updated to reflect the same value as the Last Check which is when the Last Update was ACTUALLY installed.
My only other theory on all of this and I am purely speculating/throwing another idea into the mix, is that there is information held on a Dell server somewhere which is related to individual users/systems and there is something not right.
Have to say, and hopefully I am only imagining a worst case scenario which again is purely speculative, but I truly hope this has nothing to do with the Service Tag and PII issues and some sort of long standing cover up - Dell themselves have admitted to this breach and I am unsure of if the root cause/perpetrators were ever identified as internal or external and/or the full ramifications and usefulness of the information which was leaked/stolen
My understanding is that a Service Tag is basically useless to the attacker of an individual unless the attacker can also provide Name, Email and Phone Number along with the Service Tag to a Dell representative or the individual they are trying to scam through social engineering - but hang on, the offenders did seem to know this information so ... hmmm.
What am I talking about you may ask? Well you can read more in a Feb 16 article by Krebs here:
In the meantime I am going to do a clean install of Retail Win 10 Pro just because it is time to do so - after which I will install Alienware Update 3.1 again, run the checks, and then uninstall and reinstall periodically to check again.
Last of all, and IMO, this problem does not seem to get the attention it deserves being in relation to what could potentially become a security vulnerability because of buggy applications that fail to report/work correctly and furthermore, drive those using them to a point of frustration where they permanently uninstall.
Prajesh, please post the solution. It isn't practical for you to log onto every affected computer with this problem. I'd like to fix mine also.
I keep getting this as well every so often my firewall pops up saying conflicting error dell assist or something along those lines I'm a little worried i might get hacked is there a new brand i can purchase other then dell me and my friend play on PC games and we are all debating on switching because the dell update constantly slows down PFS because its working in the background. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
I received an email from "Prajesh" this morning requesting remote access to my system given that he's received an update from the product team. When I click on the supplied link, I get a web page with the message "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action. Click your browser's Back button to continue." The back button is disabled.
There is no private message in my inbox, and there is nothing here from Prajesh about an update, so I'm at a loss to respond, except to say that I'm loathe to give anyone remote access to my system without some indication of why such access is needed and what he/she intends to do.
Still looking forward to a fix for this issue.