Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

2 Posts

November 20th, 2018 21:00

Plugged in, not charging

In December of 2016 I purchased a Dell XPS 13 9350. One of the main reasons that I chose this laptop over similar ultrabooks was its stellar build quality. I thought that I was making a purchase that would last for many years and not trouble me with build-quality issues and the like.

Unfortunately, almost exactly a year after my purchase, I encountered an issue. Whilst my laptop was charging I detected a burning smell emanating from the charging port and then to my surprise the LED light that indicates that the laptop is charging abruptly turned off. Luckily for me, my laptop was still under warranty and Dell replaced the faulty part that was causing the problem.

My laptop worked perfectly with the fix for almost a year but now, the issue has resurfaced and my warranty for the laptop has expired. This is incredibly irritating as I now cannot work on my laptop as I have no other means of charging it.

Dell, please help me! As previously stated, I cannot do any work as this is my only computer and as such, I am in a considerable backlog of work.

The Dell XPS 13 has been an amazing laptop and I would have highly recommendend it had it not been for this issue as it has completely ruined my experience of the laptop.

Note:

I have only used the official charger that came included in the box.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 21st, 2018 04:00

Check the status of the AC adapter -F2 at powerup.  If it shows unknown, replace it with a new OEM Dell adapter.

If that shows unknown as well, replace the DC jack:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=19725&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o3&scid=scplp19725&sc_intid=19725&gclid=CjwKCAiAodTfBRBEEiwAa1haur-vwWHGiKEF0uxuBIZugYoAmXaBkuFM-k1mN2aRtEVQc2oZlcc8GhoCqIsQAvD_BwE&utm_expid=6199460-42.PfIvl9ZBQWadmaGDa3fYEQ.0

If that doesn't get the adapter recognized, it's the mainboard that is bad - replace the mainboard.

If the adapter is recognized, but the battery won't charge, it's the battery that is bad - replace it.

November 21st, 2018 07:00

I've run the diagnostics and guess what? The battery is in excellent health and works perfectly and yet again I get the message: "battery adaptor =not installed." I thought that Dell was known for their outstanding build quality and longevity of their laptops but obviously this is not the case. I've had enough of having to spend countless hours trying to solve these issues and as such, I'm getting rid of this laptop and buying an HP spectre x360 which seems by far to be the superior product. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, David

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

November 21st, 2018 08:00

Good luck.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Spectre-x360-motherboard-failure/td-p/6067459

Get a 3-year warranty.  The name on the outside may be different, but if you're expecting different hardware inside - you'll be disappointed.

No Events found!