Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2019 04:00

Recommended powerbank

Which powerbank would be recommended for 7590?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 24th, 2019 07:00

Fyi there's an Inspiron 7590, XPS 7590, and Precision 7590.  I see you posted this in the XPS section, so I'll assume that's what you have, but in general it's a good idea to more clearly identify your system model.

In terms of a recommended power bank, I would look at the Dell Notebook Power Bank Plus PW7018LC.  However, note that it can only act as a 65W power source when used as a battery and a 90W power source in "passthrough mode" when the power bank itself is plugged into a power source.  The XPS 15 is designed for a 130W power source for optimal functionality, but I don't know of any power banks that can provide that much wattage.  The most powerful powerbank I know if is the Lifepowr A3 that can supply 87W via USB-C, but it's quite large and expensive.  Anyway, if you try to actually use your XPS 15 while connected to an undersized power source (as opposed to just charging it while it's asleep in your laptop bag, for example), then you should expect behavior like slower battery charging and CPU and GPU performance throttling, especially when the CPU and GPU are both in use.  In extreme cases, the system will continue draining its own internal battery to make up the power shortfall, just more slowly than it would if there weren't a power bank attached.  But in this condition, the laptop will eventually die even while connected to a power source, so if you're doing something very intensive and wait until your internal battery is almost dead before connecting the power bank, that's not going to work.

This review relates to an older version of Dell's power bank and an older XPS 15, but since the wattage output of that older power bank and the wattage requirements of that older XPS 15 are identical to the PW7018LC and your XPS 15 model, respectively, you might find it useful to read.

No Events found!