Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2018 12:00

Replacement battery fails to charge XPS 13 9333

Swelling of the battery in the XPS13 9333 seems to be a common problem with the result that the track pad no longer works properly.  I was unable to find a stock replacement battery for the XPS13 9333 from Dell so I ordered one on eBay.  The new battery solves the track pad problem which instantly started working.  However, the XPS13 doesn't seem to like the replacement battery which is not a stock Dell part.  The battery fails to charge.  I have tried various suggestions found on the net from discharging the new battery, disconnecting it, holding down the power button, rebooting with battery disconnected, shutting down, reconnecting the battery... and many variations on that theme. 

I would not have such an issue with Dell if they stocked a replacement battery for the the XPS13 9333 but they do not appear to.  Any suggestions here welcome.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 25th, 2018 08:00

It's one or the other -- and since the original battery does charge, but the replacement doesn't -- see here, which specifically states the battery you bought is NOT compatible with the 9333:

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Battery-13-l321x-13-l322x-Compatible/dp/B01HR5S6WY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1521990485&sr=8-3&keywords=xps+9333+battery&dpID=41l4bXf22IL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpsrc=srch

I'd still go with the second explanation.

Just because the battery fits the system doesn't make it compatible - the XPS 12 systems were built by Quanta for Dell - the 9333 and later models are made by a different company - Compal Electronics.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 5th, 2018 06:00

Please remove AC adapter and battery again. Press "Power On" button for about 15 seconds. Replace battery, adapter, power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key until you see the BIOS setup. 

In the BIOS setup, reset BIOS to defaults by following steps in link below. Hopefully the system recognized the non-dell battery

How to restore the BIOS (System Setup) defaults on a Dell Product.

www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln245206/how-to-restore-the-bios-system-setup-defaults-on-a-dell-product?lang=en

Also check to see if the AC adapter is detected or recognized in the BIOS. Keep in mind, if the adapter isn't detected, it will continue to power the system but will not charge the battery.

AC Adapter Not Powering on the Computer or Charging the ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 5th, 2018 06:00

If resetting BIOS to defaults doesn't resolve the battery problem and the AC adapter is detected, I would suggest you quickly contact the Ebay seller and request for a return or money back. 

March 5th, 2018 11:00

Thanks for the prompt response.   Resetting the BIOS has not resolved the problem nor has disconnecting the battery again and holding down the power button.  I have the most recent A08 version for the 9333.  I will contact the reseller.  It would be nice to know a reliable battery source for the XPS13 9333. 

I am noticing an odd behaviour of the battery.  It appears to be charging but at an incredibly slow pace.  It has increased 2% in the last 36 hours.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 5th, 2018 15:00

Sounds like a bad battery. Have the seller replace it.

If the replacement also fails, there are sources of Dell OEM batteries - Parts-People.com, Discountelectronics.com, and others.

March 24th, 2018 11:00

I appreciate all the support and practical advice but my patience is really being tested with this laptop.  I sent the defective battery back to the Ebay seller and ordered a different one which purports to be a Dell battery from a different seller.  Replacement batteryReplacement battery

I followed the instructions above again several times and the BIOS still doesn't recognise the battery.  When I put  the original (bulgy) battery back in, it works and charges just fine aside from disabling my trackpad clicking.  I have the most recent BIOS.

I am out of ideas.

When I bought this laptop, it was one of the most expensive available on the market.  I bought because I perceived it to be a high quality device.  I wish I felt that way now.

For the record, this is the Ebay seller I purchased from.  They seem to have happy customers.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 24th, 2018 12:00

If you search that part number, you'll find it on Amazon with a note that it's not compatible with the 9333 (note that the 9Q33 is a different system).

This is the battery for your system.

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&l=en&s=bsd&cs=aubsd1&sku=CPA-WV7G0

March 25th, 2018 04:00

Thanks @ejn63 I appreciate your trying to help me work this out.  I suppose I can't rule it out as a possibility but it seems very unlikely.  Not only is the battery a perfect fit for the XPS13 9333 but if you look at the details of the link you sent, you'll see that under the Tech Specs it says that it is Designed For XPS 12 (9Q33) and under the Overview it says  Compatibility: This product is compatible with the following systems: XPS 13 (9333). Surely this would indicate that the battery is designed to work with either system.OverviewOverview

Tech SpecsTech Specs

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 25th, 2018 06:00

If that's the case, then the mainboard must be the faulty part - since you've tried multiple batteries.

March 25th, 2018 06:00

That also seems implausible as the original battery works fine when I put it back in except that it is so swollen that it disables the clicking on the trackpad.

March 25th, 2018 09:00

Sigh.  You appear to be correct.  Sadly the Dell link you sent only ships to Australia and Dell Canada/US do not appear to stock a battery for the XPS13 9333.  The only new batteries on Ebay sell for ~USD250 when I can buy a complete XPS13 9333 for USD399.  Can't help but feel it shouldn't be this bloody hard.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 25th, 2018 11:00

This one isn't Dell OEM but seems to have positive reviews for it working in the 9333.

https://www.amazon.com/Dentsing-Laptop-Battery-L221x-Ultrabook/dp/B01JKYAGR8#customerReviews

March 25th, 2018 11:00

This was actually my first choice when looking for replacement batteries.  Does not ship to Canada for some reason.  Will talk to Dell out-of-warranty support on Monday and see if they have any bright ideas.  Thank you once again for your tenacity.

1 Message

May 26th, 2018 21:00

I actually have been having this issue but chalked it up to me having bought a knock off battery and didn't think anything of it. When I get home I'm going to try the BIOS thing and if that still doesn't fix my issue, Imma try this linked battery and cross my fingers. Honestly, I only found this thread because I was looking for another replacement battery to replace my third-party battery. Happy coincidence, ay?

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 18:00

In the past three weeks I have ordered from and received two battery replacements for my XPS 13 from Dell. Neither one works. The Dell technicians and their supervisors all insist (very rudely) that my computer is the problem. However, since I know exactly when and what happened to my cord (it got caught in the lounge chair and spliced), I am positive that my computer is just fine. I was working on it at the time that the cord got spliced. Both of the replacement batteries are reportedly the correct “replacement” items; however, neither one will charge. It is not possible to do the BIOS unless you have 10% battery left. Since my battery ran down to zero and only shows one percent with the new battery replacement pack, the BIOS is not an option. I love my laptop, but if Dell can’t provide better service than this, I will never buy Dell again. It should be a simple matter of being able to purchase the very same battery pack as the one originally purchased. What good is a laptop if it cannot work wirelessly?

Anyone know where I can get a used cord? 

No Events found!