Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

214 Posts

August 10th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15 9530, right part of screen is dark

My XPS 9530 has a dark area on right side of screen.  My hard drive went out about the same time this happened and before I  order a new HD I wanted to see if the LCD screen was detective.  Even in system setup it has the dark place on right side of screen. If so I can connect this very fast laptop to my 32 inch HDTV.  I just need to use this computer.  I had backed up everything a few days before all this happened so once I get windows back on new HD I should be good. I was planning on installing a solid state drive and use another screen to work with if this is a bad screen.  I ran all the tests by hitting f12 on boot up and everything shows good in hardware.  Funny thing is I removed the hard drive and did the test again and it still said all was good, even the missing hard drive. So are these tests worth even using ??

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 04:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @tdark 

Can you please post a picture of the LCD display with the dark side???

Also try a "FLEX Test" and post any display changes.

While the laptop is booted and the screen is on:

Grab the display at the upper left and right corners.

Then pull one side forward and push the other side backwards about 1/2" to 1"

Repeat back and forth. "Flex Test"

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 07:00

@tdark 

It could be???

I can give a better diagnosis when the picture is approved.

Until a "Moderator" approves of your picture only you can see it.

This is all everyone else can see.

Unapproved Pic.PNG

I do not see any driver updates that would apply to your problem.

Until the picture is approved you could go to your driver support page and see if you have any drivers to update.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15-9530/drivers

Click on: "Detect Drivers"

Regards,

U2

214 Posts

I did the flex test.  The left part of  screen maybe changed a little darker but other than that nothing changed.  You think my screen is bad ? 

214 Posts

214 Posts

August 11th, 2019 08:00

Right now the hard drive is removed because it was bad.  It was removed when I took the picture I showed here a while ago so not a driver issue..

I tested this drive both in the laptop with dells software and also removed it and put in desktop using a dvd boot disk I have to test these drives. 

Both show good in both short and long test.     I removed it and connect it to my dvd drive in one of my desktops running windows 10  and it will not show in my computer. 

Device manager does show it and computer management shows it.  If you try and boot with it in you get message no device found.  A person give me this laptop as she didn't want to put any money in it.  It is a very fast system with 16 gigs of ram. The geek squad also confirmed the HD is defective even though like I said software shows it is good.

I only want to use it as a desktop connection a HDMI cable to my 32 inch tv after of course I replace the hard drive with a new solid state. 

This is my second HD after working with computers for 20 years that tests good with software yet is detective. 

If the cost is not that much I can replace the LCD screen myself.  Otherwise I think I can use it connecting with a HDMI cable after I load windows 10 on my new hard drive. 

I just need an faster computer at my shop as the one I am typing on now was built in 2006 .  The laptop has the intel  i7 CPU.  I would think adding this SS drive it would jump

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 11th, 2019 19:00

@tdark 

I did not see the picture???

If the picture had your "Service Tag" in it then they removed it.

Try posting it again without the "Service Tag"

Regards,

U2

214 Posts

August 11th, 2019 19:00

I noticed a while ago if I boot in the setup for a few seconds things look right.  Only a tiny part of screen is different.  Then it goes dark on right side like in picture.  Makes no difference if I flex the screen or not.  Thanks

214 Posts

August 11th, 2019 20:00

new.JPG

214 Posts

August 11th, 2019 20:00

New picture shown without service tag. Sorry about that.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 14th, 2019 09:00

Sorry for not getting back sooner @tdark 

Looking at the picture the display panel does look like it is failing.

Your model should have an "LED" strip for the back-light???

BUT: That almost looks like it is a "CCFL" that is failing.

When a "LED" strip fails you should get dark triangles starting with the point at the bottom extending up the screen???

LEDSfailing.PNG

"LED" strip or "CCFL" it does look like the display panel would need to be replaced.

Regards,

U2

CCFL&LCD.PNG

214 Posts

August 15th, 2019 19:00

No problem at all on getting back to me on time.  I just appreciate the help.  I did install a SS drive and got windows loaded.  The screen problem seems to be gone.  It was dark in the windows load process but cleared up after a reboot or two. Not sure how loading windows would have fixed that but now it is working perfect.   I will watch and see if it shows up again.  The computer does run great though with this new Solid State hard drive. Thanks again. 

No Events found!