Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

1 Message

May 30th, 2019 10:00

Sensitive Touchpad - XPS 9370

Dear Dell Community,

Received a new (refurbished) machine 3 weeks ago.

The slightest 'single finger' graze causes the Touchpad to register a false 'left-click'.

Adjusting Touchpad sensitivity setting seems to make no difference.

Experiencing multiple false 'left-clicks' when browsing the Internet. Hyper-sensitivity persists throughout the operating system and in all applications.

Forced to disable 'single finger tapping' and therefore return to 'single finger clicking'.

Is there a way to repair/restore the capability of the Touchpad sensitivity setting?

In order to rule out a hardware problem, the seller sent me an identical replacement unit (Dell Service Tag about a week ago.

Out of the box, the replacement unit suffered from exactly the same hyper-sensitive Touchpad.

I took the following steps with the replacement unit:

• Updated Windows 10 to the May 2019 version
  • Fully used 'Windows Update' to obtain all possible updates including drivers.
  • In all available driver updates from Dell.ca
  • Updated to the latest BIOS from Dell.ca)

The Touchpad (Precision Touchpad) uses lists a driver from 2006 (?) and that seems to be current and correct?

After contacting Microsoft, I followed two additional steps with the replacement unit:

"Method 1: Uninstall the HID driver from the PC and then reinstall the updated driver. > From Device Manager > Open "Mice and other pointing devices" > HID-compliant mouse. > Select Uninstall and check the box for Delete the driver > Please repeat the same steps if any other HID-compliant mouse are present. > Finally close the Device Manager and restart the PC."

DEVICE 1: "HID-compliant mouse" (under "Mice and other pointing devices") (Driver Date: 6/21/2006, Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1)

I performed 'Uninstall device'. There was no check the box for Delete the driver. I restarted the system.

The driver information remained the same (6/21/2006 - 10.0.18362.1)

The slightest Touchpad graze continues to trigger a left-click (Touchpad set to 'Low sensitivity').

DEVICE 2: "PS/2 compatible mouse" (under "Mice and other pointing devices") (Driver Date: 6/21/2006, Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1)

I performed 'Uninstall device'. There was no check the box for Delete the driver. I restarted the system.

The slightest Touchpad graze continues to trigger a left-click (Touchpad set to 'Low sensitivity').

DEVICE 3: "HID-compliant touch pad" (under "Human Device Interfaces") (Driver Date: 6/21/2006, Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1)

Overall, I seem to be left with the same driver each time. I am also left with the same hyper-sensitive Touchpad. Maybe it is because I am not actually deleting the driver when I am uninstalling the devices?

"Method 2: Seems that the PC requires a touchpad driver updates. We would suggest you to update them and then check if the touchpad sensitivity issue persist."

Before proceeding with Method 2, I made a restore point on my computer.

During the installation of the above recommended driver (from Dell) the following warning popped up:

"No need to install Synaptics pointing device drivers"

I clicked OK, and the rest of the installation seems to have continued?

A message from the final view/screen in the Dell installation dialog box said:

"The update installer operation is successful."

The final Dell view/screen also provided the opportunity to download the installation log (SEE: https://justpaste.it/6bff0 )

I restarted the system.

The driver information (for all 3 devices refereed to above) remains the same (6/21/2006 - 10.0.18362.1)

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

I will look forward to any additional analysis/suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

PS I have also gone through much of the information here: https://www.dell.com/support/article/in/en/indhs1/sln305031/touchpad-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide?lang=en

No Responses!
No Events found!